Say bye bye to the Core i7 920.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOtis

Daemon Poster
Grain-o-salt?

"Prepare to bid farewell to the $400 Core i7 upgrade dream. Chip major Intel is reportedly planning to discontinue some of the relatively affordable Core i7 processors, including the most commercially successful model, the 920. Cannibalizing the Core i7 920 and 940, will create market headroom for the company's upcoming Core i5 "Lynnfield" processors."

Tech Access: Intel to Cannibalize Core i7 920 / 940

this should belong in the "NEWS" section, but you know this was going to happen. the midrange lynnfield chips perform too close to the i7, what they're doing is making i7 a niche platform, and for multi GPU users. Anyone who wants an i7 rig in the future will be forced to fork over 500-600 for the 950 if the 920/940 are out of stock, so get it now and store it :)

now if my 920 kicks the bucket say 18 months down the road...it'll be covered under intel's warranty..free upgrade anyone? :)

The I7 reminds me of the first attempt by AMD to make a quad core system, while using two sockets and two normal dual core processors... It was a niche, short lived, and some still have it...

Well LGA1366 better stay around for longer, or im going to be really ****ed off.

Theres always the 6-core to stick around for though.

I think intel is feeling the economic hit and targeting a more mid-range audience.

i'm sure 1366 will stay around for a bit...isn't intels first 32nm chips suppose to be 1366? i sure hope so :|

i don't see why they'd do this though. x58 is a good chipset(expensive but good) and i5 so far don't seem to OC worth anything...

i'm sure 1366 will stay around for a bit...isn't intels first 32nm chips suppose to be 1366? i sure hope so :|

i don't see why they'd do this though. x58 is a good chipset(expensive but good) and i5 so far don't seem to OC worth anything...

They are trying to make a big gap with the Core i7 and Core i5.. and this does it..

Essentially by getting rid of the 920, they are forcing to spend at least $1000 for a Core i7 if you want one that badly...

Its just the opposite of that actually.. its just that they have too many people buying Core i7 920's that they need to push the Core i5 or find a way to make more money of Core i7

Its just the opposite of that actually.. its just that they have too many people buying Core i7 920's that they need to push the Core i5 or find a way to make more money of Core i7

Smart thing to do would be to have one socket, different chipsets, but no chips has ever been succesful that way. :freak:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom