Refurbished

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arbiter

In Runtime
I know that refurbished products are either returned or broken and then sent back to the factory to have new parts installed and to be cleaned up. I also understand that the product must meet the standards of working properly, etc. Would purchasing a refurbished console be a smart move just to save some money?

Toughie.

Usually, I'd say yes go for it. I've bought tons of refurbished parts and never had issues.

But since we're apparently talking Xbox here... I do know that those consoles have TONS of red ring issues, and that they keep releasing new versions that claim to have fixed it or whatever... Anyway, point being... I'd be afraid of getting one of those and then it starting to malfunction pretty soon after.

Most of those sorts of deals come with a warranty though, so you'll at least be safe for awhile.

Yeah, but the warranty is shorter. You get the 3 year red ring warranty with new ones unless they stopped doing that.

Yeah, but the warranty is shorter. You get the 3 year red ring warranty with new ones unless they stopped doing that.

If I am not mistaken, they stopped cause the new units are much harder to crash. The only report I have seen of the new unit crashing was when it was wrapped in a towel in put in a space so small they built it around it.

In all honesty I would stay away from a refurb XBOX.

Normally it is fine to buy something that has been refurbished but when it comes to an xbox/xbox360 i would say it is better to get it new or buy it from some place like game or gamestation. my friend brought a refurbished xbox360 now it destroys and disk after using it twice. sometimes its just better to buy something new.

Where are you buying from and how good is the store's customer service? I bought my MacBook refurbished from Fry's almost 3 years ago and never had a problem with it. Apple gave me the option to purchase their standard warranty even though that MacBook was previously purchased and registered with them. Knowing that I was able to get the Mac with the proper warranty if ever I needed it. Also, the condition of the laptop was great and Fry's even told me I would have the option to return if something happened within 14 days. That was reassurance enough for me that I wasn't going to get stuck with something useless.

It is a good idea to get the console refurbished, assuming it is in a good condition, the store you would buy it from would provide you with some kind of support or assistance and so will the manufacturer. If you aren't sure whether the store or manufacturer would be willing to be helpful if something broke or stopped working, then it's a more risky decision to make.

Where are you buying from and how good is the store's customer service? I bought my MacBook refurbished from Fry's almost 3 years ago and never had a problem with it. Apple gave me the option to purchase their standard warranty even though that MacBook was previously purchased and registered with them. Knowing that I was able to get the Mac with the proper warranty if ever I needed it. Also, the condition of the laptop was great and Fry's even told me I would have the option to return if something happened within 14 days. That was reassurance enough for me that I wasn't going to get stuck with something useless.

It is a good idea to get the console refurbished, assuming it is in a good condition, the store you would buy it from would provide you with some kind of support or assistance and so will the manufacturer. If you aren't sure whether the store or manufacturer would be willing to be helpful if something broke or stopped working, then it's a more risky decision to make.

That's all really good info, and I think with most computers/parts refurbished is an okay way to go.

However the general idea here was that since 360 has gone through SO MANY issues, it's just not a safe bet to buy non-new. Any store is required by law to take something back if it's sold broken (at time of sale); however the Warranty they will offer on used items is often very short (some as small as 90 days), and at that point, they aren't required to help at all. So it's a big risk with a 360.

PS3>360 anyway and we all know it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom