Potentially the longest thread in history...

Re: Today I have...

Today, I filed my taxes and was relieved to find out I don't owe anything and I'm actually getting money back. Crazy.

Now I'm thinking about things to make my '98 Buick more comfortable. First thing's going to be replacing the stereo and speakers (almost all the speakers are busted and the stereo only plays CDs since the tape deck always thinks there's a tape inserted. And I hate FM transmitters), then I'm not sure. Some kind of storage thing.

No idea where to start for a receiver though. I haven't shopped for one in a while and I'm trying to keep costs down (without getting POS equipment), and I'm just not sure what to get. I would like iPod/Android USB control, an aux port, and a CD player. That's pretty much the main stuff I want. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know.

As for speakers, I'm looking at these right now for front (haven't looked at the rear and tweeters yet), but that's as far as I've gotten. Any suggestions would be fantastic again.

im getting all my money back. except for $124.00
like ALL of it (its a lot).
word. screw u gubmint.

I would put some 3ways in the rear. JBL, Pioneer, and Kenwood are my prefered brands.

Pardon my ignorance (I know next to nothing about audio systems) but what's the practical advantage of 3-way over 2-way? Also I was mostly looking at those brands, so good to know I am at least on the right track lol.

im getting all my money back. except for $124.00
like ALL of it (its a lot).
word. screw u gubmint.

I was worried because we cashed in our 401k's when we became jobless (which carries a 10% penalty over the fed tax), so I wasn't sure. Turns out we just missed out on the EIC credit because all the "income" we had (w2, 401k's, pensions), but what really killed me was the amount I was getting back before I put in the 1099-R's, it took down what we were getting back by about 1100 bucks. Sigh.

Last edited:

I was worried because we cashed in our 401k's when we became jobless (which carries a 10% penalty over the fed tax), so I wasn't sure. Turns out we just missed out on the EIC credit because all the "income" we had (w2, 401k's, pensions), but what really killed me was the amount I was getting back before I put in the 1099-R's, it took down what we were getting back by about 1100 bucks. Sigh.

All you have to do is start popping out rugrats like Naga has of late and you too can cash in on the income tax windfall. ;)

All you have to do is start popping out rugrats like Naga has of late and you too can cash in on the income tax windfall. ;)

Lol, it's not that simple for us. Also, we have enough problems right now without trying to provide for a kid.

Pardon my ignorance (I know next to nothing about audio systems) but what's the practical advantage of 3-way over 2-way? Also I was mostly looking at those brands, so good to know I am at least on the right track lol.

Two way = woofer and tweeter
Three way = woofer, tweeter, and a midrange output.

Lol touche!
Haha we did hit a lick with our third as he was born Dec 26, and our second was born last feb.
So I had no insurance deductible (screw u insurance) and I got to claim #3 on this year's taxes.
I call them my little golden geese LOL although I have no notion that it will pan out financially in the long term, in the short term...GIMME BACK MY CHEDDAH GUBMINT!
mama needs a new embroidery machine and daddy needs a new 32" glorious magnificent display.
Thank you to me for working so hard to provide us with the necessities haha!

Two way = woofer and tweeter
Three way = woofer, tweeter, and a midrange output.

Ah, gotcha. I see that most 3-way speaker pairs are about the same cost as 2-way, so that's not a problem.

I also have extra tweeters in the front that no website seems to mention at all, lol. Figures. I think they are 2" tweeters...

Back
Top Bottom