Potentially the longest thread in history...

Re: Today I have...

I think my biggest complaint so far is lack of task manager, and it doesn't show anything happening when I install something. I click on something, wait a bit, and then an icon shows up in the dock. I'm like :Happy: dafuq just happened?
I guess I'm just used to 50 million confirmations, loading bars, install bars, or some form of progress to show me my computer is actually doing something.

Some apps install by just dragging the icon to the apps folder, others are much more like a windows installation.

And there is a task manager of sorts, it's called Activity Monitor.

geWY

And where can I find that?

Edit: Nvm figured out what Launchpad was and found it in other. Also found the network utility which has some nice stuff in it, considering it's OSX lol. Nice to see terminal in there too.

Last edited:

I hate uninstalling stuff more than installing in OSX, that's why I always have App Zapper installed. So instead of just deleting the program from the apps folder, you drag it to the zapper and it pulls up all associated files to uninstall as well. Much nicer.

And where can I find that?

Edit: Nvm figured out what Launchpad was and found it in other. Also found the network utility which has some nice stuff in it, considering it's OSX lol. Nice to see terminal in there too.

Yep. People always think OS X is super restricted like iOS. But it has some pretty powerful tools and features if you dig a little.

Yep. People always think OS X is super restricted like iOS. But it has some pretty powerful tools and features if you dig a little.

It's because of this the first thing I get whenever I jailbreak (besides everything from the hackulo.us repo) is SBSettings so I can have a process manager. I have to have one or I go insane.

It's because of this the first thing I get whenever I jailbreak (besides everything from the hackulo.us repo) is SBSettings so I can have a process manager. I have to have one or I go insane.

Why ? I can understand on a desktop. But it's next to pointless on iOS. The memory management is very good, I've never had to end apps even through iOS's popup task manager which just lets you close apps.

Why ? I can understand on a desktop. But it's next to pointless on iOS. The memory management is very good, I've never had to end apps even through iOS's popup task manager which just lets you close apps.

Lolwut?

Firstly, the popup manager doesn't really work all that well for closing out apps. Sure it does it, but it only frees up a minor amount of memory, like closing FB frees up maybe 20mb on my phone. But having a proper task manager is nice because it also allows you to quit out of those annoying AdSheets that don't always go away correctly, and it has an option in SBSettings to "free up memory" which works wonders after closing a bunch of apps.

More on the memory management, it's not really that great. Even with the free up memory option, after a while the memory sinks and you need to restart the phone to fix it. Sometimes I'll quit everything I have open besides Phone, and my free memory is around 100mb or lower. If my memory usage gets to that point (using an IP4 btw), I reset. Normally with nothing running (besides Phone) I should have over 300mb free. Minimum.

Last edited:

Lolwut?

Firstly, the popup manager doesn't really work all that well for closing out apps. Sure it does it, but it only frees up a minor amount of memory, like closing FB frees up maybe 20mb on my phone. But having a proper task manager is nice because it also allows you to quit out of those annoying AdSheets that don't always go away correctly, and it has an option in SBSettings to "free up memory" which works wonders after closing a bunch of apps.

More on the memory management, it's not really that great. Even with the free up memory option, after a while the memory sinks and you need to restart the phone to fix it. Sometimes I'll quit everything I have open besides Phone, and my free memory is around 100mb or lower. If my memory usage gets to that point (using an IP4 btw), I reset. Normally with nothing running (besides Phone) I should have over 300mb free. Minimum.

I don't understand at all. I've never had a single performance problem on my phone. I launch a game and it plays smooth. I watch youtube videos and they are smooth. I browse the internet and that is smooth. The UI is also smooth, and I never ever exit apps unless something has gone totally wrong. I'd say I go 2 or 3 weeks without closing something with the pop-up manager, yet the phone feels just as fast as when i've fully restarted it.

Maybe you are right and it's not that great. I've no idea because i've never looked at figures. All I can tell you is i've never had any slow down. It's exactly like when I use my desktop PC with 8GB of ram. I never use 8GB of ram, so I never check it.

So this was a fairly good dig at Apple by Samsung, at least as good as direct digs by a marketing department can get
The Next Big Thing is Already Here -- Samsung Galaxy S III - YouTube

Its funny, but really sad. It's not working either, judging by IP5 sales. They are trying to pull people away from iPhone, but actually, iPhone sales are higher than ever.

They need to quit pulling iPhone users. It's about as successful as trying to pull GS3 users to the IP5, as in, it's never going to happen.

Well coming from a Windows only guy, it is super restricted. For instance, I have NO idea how to get any media player to see my shared folders with music :|

Back
Top Bottom