Picking a Career

DS206

Beta member
Hey guys, I am new to these forums and I just recently signed up and joined, however, I have been a lurker around here for quite a while. I have been wanting to get a start somewhere in information technology for quite a while unfortunately until now I have never really had the opportunity to go to school due to my situation. I have a two year old son and I am a single father so time really does matter, and as much as in the end I would like to go further and get my bachelors degree I need to have a decent job as soon as possible to support him. I am more so looking at my options for associates degrees and perhaps pursuing a bachelors degree online later while I work at the same time. I have an opportunity now where I have been offered a place to stay while I attend school and help with my son while I attend school, and I am trying to make the most I can of this situation. My question is this, I have always loved computers when I was young I used to play games and anytime I had a problem I would do anything I could to fix it which has played a huge role in why I am choosing this career. Because I enjoy it and love it. In all honesty outside of school I am learning as much as I can and I intend to be a jack of all trades because I am interested in everything from networking, to programming. However, I originally was wanting to go into Information Security, and I am having a hard time differentiating between the different names of programs, and names of different careers and what will lead me where. Any help on what program I would want to go towards for this would be appreciated. Thank you in advance I appreciate it.

First of all I think that obtaining a Associates degree from a good community college is an excellent way to start an IT career. The question is specifically which degree to get.

Most community colleges have several AA degrees to choose from in IT. In your situation I would choose the most general degree, where you take courses in in many different aspects of IT. This gives you a good understanding of in the field as a whole, plus the knowledge to decide which area to specialize in later. At my local college, Scottsdale Community College, they call this degree "Computer Information Systems Technologies"

The other option would be to take AA degree in something more specific like programming or Network Admin. This would be a good idea if you have already decided which area of IT you want to specialize in

I too would suggest getting your associates. I would hold off on a bachelor's because in IT experience trumps most formal educational degrees - so if you can land a job with an associates and get a few years of experience you will be able to get most jobs from your experience rather than your degree and you won't be as much in debt.

With that said, if an associates isn't in the cards i would suggest going with certifications (even if an associates is doable i'd still get a few certifications). Certifications are kind of the core of an IT career right behind experience. I see it as Experience>Certifications>Formal Education like a bachelors. It does depend on the company though as some won't even interview you w/o a bachelors even if you have a CCNA or MCSE (silly but that's the world we live in).

My suggest would be to get a generic IT associates, something that gets you involved in a lot of different area's. Depending on the school most have network or system admin degrees. During that time if it's not too much to handle I would also get a few certifications under your belt. Something like A+ and Net+. From there you will find what you are really passionate about and can focus on that area.

Another thought, if you decide to go for the Associates, try to find a program where the coursework is transferable to a BS degree. That way if you later decide to go for the BS, you won't be starting from scratch.

I really think you should consider BS degree in Computer Science or Computer Information Systems as long term plan. Just be aware that this will not be easy, a large percent to students begin the BS degree program will drop out either because they are plain not smart enough or don't have enough commitment. Which is precisely what makes this degree so valuable.

Thank you for the reply everybody, I have been researching this for quite a bit. The truth is I would love to get a bachelors degree and eventually later on I would like to finish it. My situation with having a son is really the reason I am afraid to go 4 years for a bachelors though as much as I would like to the truth is I dropped out of high school when I was younger and I have just never really been that good with the school format. I went and got my GED and have been spending the time at college catching up on Math and English until now. With the associate degrees that are offered at this college they actually do not go further towards a bachelors degree unfortunately... However I was told that an online school called Western Governors University does allow it and I could continue later on towards a bachelors degree and I would start about halfway towards it, so I do have that option. Now as far as experience if and after I am finished with my associates degree I actually have all the study material and tests paid for already for my CCNA, A+, and Network+ certifications. But also I am very fortunate because I already have a job opportunity lined up afterwards for a government agency full time once I have my associates degree, so as far as experience that would really help me. With that said I would love to pursue a bachelor's degree. I just don't know how to provide for my family while being in school so long. Especially since I have never been good at school and feel I will need all the time I can get to do my work between my son and work.

I have observed that many students starting out in Community College have a great deal of difficulty because they lack good study skills.
Since you mention you have not been that good at school, it could be that your study skills need a little brushing up. Of course I don't know you, so your study skills could very well be top notch.
If you do lack good study skills, your first few classes may seem really difficult & will require extra time to master. But if you are willing to put the time in your study skills should gradually improve & the classes should get easier.
I mention this because I don't want to see you get discouraged when you first go back to school. Should your first courses seem really difficult, it may just be that you need to improve study skills, NOT that you don't have what it takes to be good at IT

I appreciate the heads up and advice on study skills, to be completely honest I haven't been in school for almost 9 years now as I dropped out of high school early. And to be entirely honest even when I was in high school I'm not so sure you can really say I did my work and tried as I wish I would have. I just started attending college recently and my first quarter went pretty good, however in my second quarter I began to have a problem. And looking back I have began thinking it is the amount of time I put in towards studying. As I said before I chose this career because it is something that I have been learning and intend to learn regardless. I may not choose computer programming but regardless programming is something I intend to learn along with everything else just for the simple fact that I love computers and want to learn as much as possible. However, I have also questioned the exact same thing in regards to study habits. I have a friend who is my age and is already a doctor, and he was telling me something similar about how he had a rough quarter where he failed because of this same issue. So that made me kind of think about how I can get that same type of pattern down. Perhaps I need to wake up at like 4AM everyday so I have some time to study before my son wakes up.

Let me play Dr. Hardass here.
You need to get your house in order first and foremost. Roof over you and your son's head and food in the mouth. Daycare for your son and anything he needs to be healthy and happy. These things will weigh on your mind and make concentrating on studies difficult.

Having said that.

When you get your house in order and your comfortable with how things are going, you might want to check in to one of those on line collage courses. You can study when you have time. As far as I know all you need is a laptop or desktop and an internet connection. Instead of having to pack up your son and take him somewhere to be babysat, you can be home with him and study when you have time.
Only thing about those is some of them the credits don't transfer. Be careful that you ask about that.

Your study habits according to what you have posted, are going to need some attention. I'll put forth that you get bored or distracted easily. Focus is the key. When you sit down to study have a quiet place you can go to. I find a little background music is helpful. Cup of coffee and a pack of smokes and I'm all set.

You have some one depending on you to love and support them. He will be your inspiration to succeed.

He absolutely is an inspiration. I had my son very early which is the reason I was never able to go to school in the past, but I have just gotten tired of barely getting by and I had an opportunity to maybe change this when my parents offered for me to move back and to help me. They also offered to help watch my son when they are off work so I can work on my homework. Getting distracted easily is a common problem I have especially when my son wants attention. I think I have a solid schedule though I am and always have been a morning person. If I can wake up around 4 AM every morning that will allow me a solid 3-4 hours of silent study time. between that and my parents watching him after they get off work around 4-5PM that should offer me enough study time where I can sit down and just simply focus on homework. I do intend to do online work, however, with math I have always struggled so with that I kinda feel like that is the one course I need to do online.

Back
Top Bottom