Old guy question

sunuva

Beta member
Not tech savvy
I'm a rancher

General discussion and I need someone way smarter than me to answer:

Search engine types?

Search within a website - (like this site search) name?
Search other sites like google - is a ??
Search like ex: mrRebate.com product search, searches products w/ thumbnail results from other sites, but only certain sites and stays on mrrebates - called a ???

Thanks you in advance!!!

Really dont understand what your trying to ask here.

Searching is done by keywords. So if you were searching on this site, you type in the query into the search box and the vB forum software then searches for those keyword(s). It will then produce the results based on relevance on the terms used.

So if you typed in Windows 8 into the Search box it would first bring up all the topics that have Windows 8 in the title, it would then bring up individual posts that have that word in them.

Searching Google is quite different. Google uses what is known as spiders. These "spiders" crawl the website and basically take a snap shot of the various aspects of the site. That way when you type in a term, it can then reference the spiders database and bring up sites that have that term on them. At least that is my knowledge of how it operates.

As for your example, it would be much like what Google does. You search a term on that site, but it uses a database from other sites. Maybe it uses Google as its reference for results. Maybe it uses Bing. Maybe it uses Yahoo. It would depend on who coded the site and how.

The main thing to know is that these spiders have to be allowed on the website. So if a term or site doesnt show up, it is cause the administrators of that site have not allowed the various spiders for search engines to be allowed on that site.

For example. If you go to Google and search Windows Stop Codes. Now you will find all sorts of 3rd party sites that have this information, but the chances you will actually get Microsoft.com and their exact page with this information is not going to be that great. Reason being is that Microsoft has not allowed the Google Spiders to crawl their sites and database that information. So the information you are going to get is going to be from all sorts of 3rd party references.

It is for that reason that Bing is the source to use if you are researching a specific Windows problem. Bing is owned and operated by Microsoft and you will get results from Microsoft specific sites that are in direct connection to the search.

I hope that clears up some of the confusion you have.

For example. If you go to Google and search Windows Stop Codes. Now you will find all sorts of 3rd party sites that have this information, but the chances you will actually get Microsoft.com and their exact page with this information is not going to be that great. Reason being is that Microsoft has not allowed the Google Spiders to crawl their sites and database that information. So the information you are going to get is going to be from all sorts of 3rd party references.

But I get MS KB, TechNet, etc. all the time from Google Searches? If I Google "Bugcheck codes" the first thing that comes up is MS's Bugcheck KB. I've never had an issue finding/seeing MS pages from Google; usually their the top results if they have relevant info.

Back
Top Bottom