New PDA suggestion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikesgroovin

HONK if you route packets
I'm in the market for a new PDA. Does anyone have any suggesstions? I've been looking at the Sony CLIEs mainly beacause, they seem to have all that I'm looking for. My needs are:

1) 32 MB
2) Camera (preferred)
3) Palm OS
4) Memory stick
5) 802.11b capabilities
6) good color display
7) I really like to have an integrated keyboard. I don't like trying to get the confusing patterns for typing.....VERY time consuming!

Any thoughts???

I suppose I dont HAVE to have Palm OS....but if I can get all the above in a reasonably priced Windows....then maybe. The Pocket PCs are soooo much more expensive it seems, eh?

-Mike

I have a Sony Clie (It is pretty cool, comes with the whole nine yards) It even has dual media capabilities (Memory stick and CF)

The camera takes pretty good pictures, it has a wannabe version of photoshop in it so you can play with the pictures you take.

I also have an iPaq which is an awesome PDA as well, its reliable and extremely easy to use (Especially with the Windows Mobile 2003 OS Upgrade)

But of course they both have the Pro's and Con's.

The best thing about the PPC is its integrated ability to synchronize with anything on your windows desktop. Outlook is almost flawless, in a pinch you can work on Word, Excel doc's without loosing the format when you open them at your desktop. The PPC doesn't have a camera :( .

I recently purchased the Clie because it caught my attention (and it was on sale) I liked the utilities that come with it. It already comes with a wide range of applications, games and neat utilities like the TV remote control. It always works!

As usual, allot of things go into deciding what kind of PDA you're going to get. Usage, price and learning curve are very important factors to keep in mind.

I use them both for different reasons (Plus, with two PDA's my wife doesn't have to keep stealing mine..:) :) )

My neighbor has a Clie PEG-TJ37 and he says that it great although I've never tried it. It doesn't have an integrated keyboard though. Personally I think that once you know all of the text commands, writing using that method is pretty quick and easy. And PalmOS is nice and stable with a good list of available apps.

I'm thinking about buying an iPaq H4155 in a few months myself. I've been on a 6 year journey with Palms and Clies and now, I think I'll try something new.

Hmm...Clies...

One of my main problems with the Clies is the Memory Stick factor. Actually, come to think about it, that's my problem with a lot of Sony products. But you mention memory stick compatibility in something you want in your handheld. If that is the case, then you really have to go Sony.

Just for comparison, the Tungsten C has a lot of what you want (keyboard, twice the RAM you ask for, 802.11b, etc.)

PocketPC is a completely different world, but I should tell you before you decide to stay away from them, that they are not as heavily priced as you seem to think they are (compared to what any clie with the features you described would cost, that is).

Thanks....I am looking for a little diversity! I checked the Tungsten out and it looks pretty sweet. Looking for a camera too though. But I do love options! I'd like to go with Sony because I've heard that the Clies are pretty darn sweet but I do like options.....
Thanks ya'll!

mikesgroovin said:
Thanks....I am looking for a little diversity! I checked the Tungsten out and it looks pretty sweet. Looking for a camera too though. But I do love options! I'd like to go with Sony because I've heard that the Clies are pretty darn sweet but I do like options.....
Thanks ya'll!

Check this site for a PDA roundup...I don't know how recent it is however...

It sounds to me as though you are quite decided on the clie. Good luck on that then. :cool:

I have contemplated a PDA for a while now. At the end of the day, all i need is a older one i can put notes in... Can anyone make any suggestions? doesnt have to be colour, doesnt have to have games and all the bells and whistles...:)

ADZ said:
I have contemplated a PDA for a while now. At the end of the day, all i need is a older one i can put notes in... Can anyone make any suggestions? doesnt have to be colour, doesnt have to have games and all the bells and whistles...:)

The cheapest thing you can get that hasn't been discontinued is probably the Zire 21. Probably one of the last major monochrome PDAs, mind you. They are disappearing quickly.

why not a zire 31? you can add documents to go, which I'm told syncs with microsoft word much better then the ppc version. I have documets to go and its great. the desktop versions are just like the palm versions.

also, integrated keyboards aint all their cracked up to be. I've learned graffiti 2 pretty quickly, and have a separate keyboard that attaches to my palm for longer data entry. (NOTE, it was real pain installing hte thing.)

but thumb keyboards are probably just as awkward to learn as grafitti.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom