Multi-Purpose Build, Opinions Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't think dual Xeons is necessary for anything short of a high demand, high bandwidth server. A 920/930 (OC'ed to ~4GHz) or 970/980 (6 core chips) would be plenty with a good GPU. I'd go with a 920 or 930 over the 940/950/960 because all those chips are just faster clocked versions of the 920/930 and all will hit 4GHz with a good cooler. For the GPU, I'd recommend either a Radeon HD5 series or nVidia Fermi (GTX4 series). While not a workstation card I would think an HD5870 would perform pretty well and allows up to 3 monitors in either individual or spanning modes for more work area. I like the additional space my 3 1920x1080 monitors provide on my 5870, great for working on 3D stuff (for me that's video game maps, but having multiple viewports works for any 3D application). If you plan on working on large models/files, get 12GB (6x2GB) RAM and a large HDD, though the SSD will work for your boot drive.

As for your wireless card, get a WiFi N compatible card, even if you don't have an N router now you'll be ready for the upgrade later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom