mpaa trying to prevent dvd copying

Status
Not open for further replies.

office politics

It's all just 1s and 0s
mpaa is trying to win a legal battle to prevent dvd copying of drm protected material. even with the fair use act in place (allows the ability to make a copy for backup purposes), the mpaa says that you break the law when you decrypt the data off the disc. RealNetworks is saying the only way to copy dvds is to decrypt the data and save to the hard disk first. I think if they try to make this fight, they will lose. I would think that there's way to copy the dvd without decrypting it. If you save the same patterns of bits off the disc, and write the same pattern to a new disc...the two discs would do the same thing.

if mpaa wins this fight it could mean big trouble for other dvd copying softwares.

Reminder from the MPAA: DRM trumps your fair use rights - Ars Technica

Reminder from the MPAA: DRM trumps your fair use rights
As part of this week's RealDVD court hearings, Real continued to argue that the movie studios are trying to prevent fair use. At the same time, the MPAA pushed back by saying that fair use can't be used to defend against the DMCA's anticircumvention provisions, since the two are not even related. In fact, this is a gray area of the law that has yet to be fully tested in court. Both sides hope that this case will help sort things out.
By Jacqui Cheng | Last updated May 22, 2009 12:45 PM CT

If you have a dual layered burner and use dual layered blanks then decrypting and recoding shouldn't be necessary. But that not considered a popular choice as that's just not how things are setup for mainstream use.

If the EU would treat the MPAA and RIAA like they do other large companies (guess who) that seem to control there industry, all of this would go away.

mpaa trying to prevent dvd copying
There's a big surprise. If they had their way people would have to pay to watch a DVD... each person, each time.

I seldom backup a DVD unless it is one that will be getting a lot of usage, like stuff for the kids my mother-in-law babysits or a copy for them to watch in the car. In those situations there is no way I am going to put a $15+ DVD in harm's way. As long as it remains within my possession there shouldn't be a problem (except for the DRM they keep shoving down people's throats).

I refuse to play purchased dvd's for my children.
They are too hard on them. I make a backup and put the originals where they cannot touch them.
After the third dvd got too scratched to play I invoked this rule.

This won't happen, mainly because DVD images are commonplace I normally download the .iso image of Linux distributions while i am inside windows and various software for clients etc and DVD disk's have a use in backup format's as well so i doubt we will see a crack down on the DVD authoring software.

If you have a dual layered burner and use dual layered blanks then decrypting and recoding shouldn't be necessary. But that not considered a popular choice as that's just not how things are setup for mainstream use.

If the EU would treat the MPAA and RIAA like they do other large companies (guess who) that seem to control there industry, all of this would go away.
Only issue with that. DL DVD's are still expensive comapred to SL Disk's. When i can get a 25 or 50 Pack for the price of 5, i am going to Decrypt and shrink the DVD. Saves me money that is much needed at this time.

I saw this coming though. With the crack down on SlySoft with AnyDVD, the removal of things like DVDecrypter and that all happening, it was bound to happen that the MPAA would stup up sooner or later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom