Microsoft offers to acquire Yahoo for $44.6 billion

Status
Not open for further replies.

maroon1

Banned
Excessive caffeine-based drinks and news like this don't mix but here it is - Microsoft has offered to buy rival Yahoo in a deal worth $44.6 billion. The Redmond OS developer has stated that it will pay $31 per Yahoo share this price being 62% over yesterday's closing price. Microsoft's proposal allows Yahoo shareholders to choose between getting cash or a fixed number of shares of Microsoft common stock, with the total consideration payable to them consisting of one-half cash and one-half Microsoft common stock.

"We have great respect for Yahoo, and together we can offer an increasingly exciting set of solutions for consumers, publishers and advertisers while becoming better positioned to compete in the online services market," stated Steve Ballmer, Microsoft's CEO.

Is this an offer Yahoo shareholders can't refuse? Stick around to find out what happens next.

In response to Microsoft's proposal, Yahoo has stated that its Board of Directors will evaluate it "carefully and promptly in the context of Yahoo!'s strategic plans and pursue the best course of action to maximize long-term value for shareholders." So we wait some more.

TechConnect Magazine - Microsoft offers to acquire Yahoo for $44.6 billion

To be honest I though this thread would be alot bigger :)

It was posted in OT, I don't think this can go ahead in the UK as Yahoo is partnered with BT who are partly owned by the govenment.

Thats just it, everyone is joined with everyone in the UK, it's purely for their own finacial gain. Its just like Powergen and e-on. I wouldn't be suprised if BT owned Powergen nowadays :p

I think as i said before that it could not happen BT is partly owned by the UK govenment, I think there would be a HUGE conflict of interest if microsoft tried to take over yahoo uk. OR they might sell off the british area to BT entirely an allow it to trade in the UK with that name. But whatever the outcome it will get messy fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom