MechWarrior Online

I got the approval! Gonna give it a go next week when I have more time.

Longtime MW fan since Merch2
I have yet to be accepted into the closed beta. all I know is that Mechwarrior online community there is probably one of the best "larger" communities out there... It seems that everyone is there for the same reason and thankfully most of them arent trolls.

I still haven't got back into it. What time i have I am clanning it up inBF3.

I have yet to be accepted into the closed beta. all I know is that Mechwarrior online community there is probably one of the best "larger" communities out there... It seems that everyone is there for the same reason and thankfully most of them arent trolls.
I have to disagree. You can't really have an opinion on something that is bad with the game without getting flamed. I haven't been able to play due to lack of joystick (the game wont use my throttle) but I have read some stuff on the forums. Ick

My boys just got on and I watched for a few minutes on each PC ( they were on separate set-ups) = Looks like a lot of fun. I will have to try to get on ASAP.

Alright PP Mguire, continuing from where we left off, I sat down and thought for a bit, and while MWO didn't fit the image of a P2W game as I had always seen them; which was being able to spend real-world money to have more power in a game than other players. That would be; being able to buy items with real money that are superior to any item obtainable through gameplay, or something along those lines.

Then I realized that most people are probably like me in MWO, and the biggest part of the game for them is getting to buy and customize different mechs; but for someone just starting out it can take a long time before they have the funds to buy/build the mech they want, while someone who wants to spend real cash could get it in minutes. So yes, in MWO being able to spend real money and get mechs and in-game currency makes it P2W in this sense. I never thought of it that way before, but it does fit the way I normally think of P2W games; which means being able to obtain something with real money that others can't with in-game money - hero mechs are a great example of that, as they give c-bill bonuses and special hardpoints, and can only be bought with real money. A better example is the mechbays; the fact you have to pay actual money to own more than three mechs is just awful lol.

Aside from all that though, I still think it's a good game. I always have a good time playing it, and it's one of few games i've been able to play for longer than a month without getting bored.

P2W doesn't necessarily mean buying items one couldn't normally obtain. It has to do with level tiering as well.

Think about it this way. War Thunder is a P2W game, and it's even more annoying than MWO. You first start out you have junk to fly. People who gladly spend cash for higher up planes and leveling will be fighting noob status people and get a ton of points/kills because they have better equipment than anybody else for their first 50 or so matches until they level match people with gear similar to theirs.

Same can be said for a game like BF4. You can obtain every weapon and such through leveling and scoring points for unlocks. Thing is, a level 1 person can buy the "ultimate upgrade pack" in Origin and START with every base weapon and upgrade unlocked. They will be typically playing (usually) in servers with people who are like level getting (theoretically) more kills due to better hardware.

Obviously this isn't always the case because somebody with skill can still whoop up on somebody who paid for their junk but you get the gist.

In MWO it's pretty difficult to stay alive unless you've played a while and know your way around the controls and maps. It's hard to get accustomed to things if you die so quickly due to inferior equipment. Well when you play a while you can start building things. Thing is, it takes quite a while to actually get the money to build for instance just a decent starting medium mech. If you're an old schooler like me you're used to being able to outfit a mech and take it into battle to test your weapons and mech to see if it fits your abilities on the field. Even in MW2/4 Mercs that required money it still wasn't that difficult to purchase better gear and if you flopped a build it's easy to redo. And don't get me even STARTED on their stupid engine system. Like seriously? That **** has to be the most ridiculous crap I've ever seen. I shouldn't have to sit here and run equations to figure what kinda speed I can get with what engine. If you goof and accidentally buy the wrong engine or you wanted to configure for more speed you're screwed unless you have the c-bills to actually afford a mess up. Same goes for weapons.

I think for me personally if they had a SP so I can get accustomed to the layout, the feel of the mechs, the controls, the weapons, ect I wouldn't mind taking the time to rough it out. But they don't have that, and there isn't one planned. So you're literally walking into the blind here. That being said, if I want to play a Mech game these days I just fire up one of the older games. MW2, or 4.

Edit:
Add me on MWO. Idk how you do that, but I assume there is a way.

Last edited:
I forgot you mentioned the engines; I actually have a Jagermech and a Jenner sharing an XL engine because I couldn't afford to buy two lol. And I agree, when looking at engines it should state how fast the mech you will be putting it in will move, I don't know why they did it the way they did.

A single player to let you practice against AI opponents would be amazing, and like you said; just starting out and not knowing anything, and being thrown into a match against literally random players, doesn't make learning the ropes an easy thing at all. I managed to power through the learning curve and get a handle on things, but it would've been so much easier with practice against AIs, rather than just winging it and hoping for good results at the start.

The only Mechwarrior games I played other than MWO was an emulated SNES game and the Mechassault games on Xbox lol. How hard is it to find copies of some of the other games for PC? I would love to give 'em a try.

I forgot you mentioned the engines; I actually have a Jagermech and a Jenner sharing an XL engine because I couldn't afford to buy two lol. And I agree, when looking at engines it should state how fast the mech you will be putting it in will move, I don't know why they did it the way they did.

A single player to let you practice against AI opponents would be amazing, and like you said; just starting out and not knowing anything, and being thrown into a match against literally random players, doesn't make learning the ropes an easy thing at all. I managed to power through the learning curve and get a handle on things, but it would've been so much easier with practice against AIs, rather than just winging it and hoping for good results at the start.

The only Mechwarrior games I played other than MWO was an emulated SNES game and the Mechassault games on Xbox lol. How hard is it to find copies of some of the other games for PC? I would love to give 'em a try.
Give me a PM about that and I'll help you out.

Dude, the training grounds with AI to shoot at would make a WORLD of difference. Wouldn't be hard to do either.

Awesome, I appreciate that man.

Yeah, just shooting at empty mechs standing around can't be called practice lol.

Back
Top Bottom