Macbook Pro 2013 Model

cyclones

In Runtime
Hey, I just bought a 15" Macbook Pro a couple weeks ago.. I'm wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of memory I need? I am looking to upgrade from 8GB to 16GB. My friend said he bought some memory off of Amazon awhile ago but I'm not sure if the memory has changed..

Thanks!

Is it one with a retina display? If it is you can't upgrade the RAM ever. If it isn't a retina just about any 204 pin DDR3 SO-DIMM will work.

Yes, I have the retina. I also contacted Apple to make sure this was true and sure enough, it sure is.. How about the hard drive? Is is possible to remove and add different drives down the road or is that also soldered to the computer?

The retina macbook, i'm pretty sure, has some sort of mSATA SSD in it (which is probably it for storage capacity). What exact form of mini SSD, I'm not entirely sure.

I got a mbp 13", latest version and I'm quite sure that with retina models your only shot to get some changes on it is when you buy it...At least, this is what I've been told when I got mine a few weeks ago.

hello cyclones and the rest of the members, i am sure that you can upgrade it just fine. now i am not an APPLE expert but i do know that manufacturers will rarely give you 100% correct information about some of their product if they can't benefit from it. what i mean is why would they? they have much more use to sell you a more expensive model like they did with me. i had a 2008 macbook pro Apple said maximum RAM is 4 Gb, and i gave mine to my niece and got a newer one only to find out i could have upgraded it to 8 Gb, see for yourself Top secret? Updated Apple firmware enables an 8 GB upgrade for

With the unibody construction of the new Macs, everything is soldered onto the board to reduce the amount of connectors/space required for hardware.

Tip for buying a Mac: Buy the absolute best/newest you can afford.

However, the new ones come with plenty of standard RAM and OSX Mavericks effectively "doubles" the amount of RAM you have installed through some software trickery previously known in the 90's as "RAM Doubler" So even though you can't upgrade, you will likely never notice.

Back
Top Bottom