Spud1200

Fully Optimized
I can't Log in to Ubuntu 14.4.01 and I've just installed it less than ten minutes ago. I'm at the Home Screen and its asking for my Log in name. I've entered it, thus the screen seems to be accepting no password what so ever.

I've set up a File server using Ubuntu Server. I know the details are correct but the acutall password it self is not being " * " on the screen.

Can anyone offer advice.

I've managed to log in to the server but hence no GUI. Does Ubuntu come with a GUI or is it all text based. I've installed the x86 Architecture Ver. But genuinely feel like a fish out of water.

Last edited:
I found that actual my self Fat.Clown but hence since I have no experience with Linux let alone a Server I don't have a Clue as to what to do. When I installed it I found that Since I didn't have the machine connected the to net Via. Ethernet or some way I had to leave updates, so unless I can fugue out how to update the system I'm screwed or at least install a Light GUI over the top.

If I recall, you won't even see stars to indicate the number of characters in your password. You just have to be a good typist and nail it. Assuming that you've tried and failed to enter all passwords you would have possibly entered when setting up the system, the next step is to simply reset it. You could try booting the system up and going to a root recovery shell. This is done by holding the shift key during boot. At the grub screen, select the highest kernel that says (recovery) or something similar to that behind it. You'll see some text fly by as it loads, ultimately giving you a set of options. Towards the bottom there should be a "root" or "root shell" option. Choose that.

By default the system loads in read only mode. Run this command to remount it as read/write.

mount -o remount,rw /

From there you can reset your user password. I'm recalling this from memory, but if I'm right, it should be:

"passwd jayce"

where jayce is the name of your user. Type in your password twice. Once done, enter "reboot" to reboot the system. Once you fire the system up you should be able to log in again.

While on topic, I'm curious. What are your goals with this system? Are you trying to get your feet wet with Linux servers? While I do highly recommend learning the terminal as much as possible, there are some web based GUI utilities you can look into if you'd like to further streamline the process. This will give you a web based frontend to manage different things, like software RAID, network shares, users, etc. I've been using Ajenti on my server lately. I don't use it heavily, but I like seeing the dashboard where I can view all of my widgets to see system health/raid health/drive health/temps/load/network load all in one screen. Ajenti works directly work the config files, unlike some other web frontend services that totally muck with the configs. Tools like this were helpful for me when I first started, as I could make GUI based changes and then look at the config files in terminal to see what changed. After that, the rest is history.

Just a thought.

Installing on Ubuntu / KB forum / Ajenti

Note: I see the documentation specifically lists 12.04, however I have it installed on 14.04 (which was 12.04, then I did an in-place upgrade) and have had no issues, so I'd *assume* it'd work on a fresh 14.04 install as well.

If I recall, you won't even see stars to indicate the number of characters in your password. You just have to be a good typist and nail it. Assuming that you've tried and failed to enter all passwords you would have possibly entered when setting up the system, the next step is to simply reset it. You could try booting the system up and going to a root recovery shell. This is done by holding the shift key during boot. At the grub screen, select the highest kernel that says (recovery) or something similar to that behind it. You'll see some text fly by as it loads, ultimately giving you a set of options. Towards the bottom there should be a "root" or "root shell" option. Choose that.

By default the system loads in read only mode. Run this command to remount it as read/write.

mount -o remount,rw /

From there you can reset your user password. I'm recalling this from memory, but if I'm right, it should be:

"passwd jayce"

where jayce is the name of your user. Type in your password twice. Once done, enter "reboot" to reboot the system. Once you fire the system up you should be able to log in again.

While on topic, I'm curious. What are your goals with this system? Are you trying to get your feet wet with Linux servers? While I do highly recommend learning the terminal as much as possible, there are some web based GUI utilities you can look into if you'd like to further streamline the process. This will give you a web based frontend to manage different things, like software RAID, network shares, users, etc. I've been using Ajenti on my server lately. I don't use it heavily, but I like seeing the dashboard where I can view all of my widgets to see system health/raid health/drive health/temps/load/network load all in one screen. Ajenti works directly work the config files, unlike some other web frontend services that totally muck with the configs. Tools like this were helpful for me when I first started, as I could make GUI based changes and then look at the config files in terminal to see what changed. After that, the rest is history.

Just a thought.

Installing on Ubuntu / KB forum / Ajenti

Note: I see the documentation specifically lists 12.04, however I have it installed on 14.04 (which was 12.04, then I did an in-place upgrade) and have had no issues, so I'd *assume* it'd work on a fresh 14.04 install as well.

The thing is I installed Ubuntu to get the use out of the Server I had bought. I had a chance at a second hand server and took it due to the Low price. Its a HP Pro Liant 350ML, sporting RAID and a Xeon.

Now thing is I have no experience with *Nix and I'm pretty much getting my feet wet for the time being. I have at the moment Mint installed on two systems thats running DC SETI and Folding and Rosetta @ Home. The rest are Windows based tower home desktop systems.

I installed Ubuntu 14.04 as a File server due to the high DATA and the Amount I have to communicate over the remaining Towers I have. Now I can't stress this enuf, that when I say I don't know anything I didn't even know Ubuntu 14.04 came with out a GUI.

I did not have the Server connected to the Internet to do updates during the Install process and never configured the DHCP for the Server System.

I'm curious to know if it will take brain power to learn the Shell Extensions and if I'll have to sit with in the terminal. When I installed the system I had the various options to choose what the Server would be used for and hence I chose File server.

I'm not sure if its possible to run the Ubuntu OS and have Mint and Windows on Client PC connected to a Server. I wouldn't have so much as a clue as to how to be able to interact with them threw the various terminals and thus Server to Client. The install of Ubuntu was less than 600MB being 14.04.1 and I was expecting a more heavy system with regards to a GUI.

How would I run updates and configure the DHCP with in the Ubuntu system it self. I have managed to log in correctly and I'm fine with passwords as I didn't know that it wouldn't accept it unless " # " out. When typing help I'm given a series of commands and information but to no understanding or avail as to execute basic fetch of updates or run Programs ECT: .

I'm not at the stage of being able to install a light GUI at the minute as I need to familiarize my self with the terminal and thus do updates if any are needed along with Configuration of DHCP.

Can you provide me with some commands to get started on the system. If I trawl around web sites it's going to take forever and I hate that. Going from site to site looking up information, I'd rather Post on TF.net.

Back
Top Bottom