Legality Views

jawshawa

Beta member
Hey,
Downloading stuff for free is kinda confusing when it comes to the legal point of view so I was wondering what some different opinions were.
Thanks,
Josh

If it was freely shared by the author of the content then it is completely legal, such as Linux distributions, freeware apps, etc. Things out of copyright also fall into the legal to share category.

Anything that the author or distributor charges/charged for, or anything protected by copyright, is not legal to share.

If the content isn't copyrighted, or allows it to be freely distributed (according to whatever license its under), then it's legal. If the content is licensed to be paid for or restricts sharing, or copyrighted...it's illegal.

Thanks guys. Dont artists in some countries get Private Copying Levys in some countries (like Canada) though? So if I download the latest taylor swift single, shes still getting paid, so why should I pay even more?

Thanks guys. Dont artists in some countries get Private Copying Levys in some countries (like Canada) though? So if I download the latest taylor swift single, shes still getting paid, so why should I pay even more?

Because it's illegal ;).

Technically you follow your countries copyright laws... But America has a habbit of forcing it's own copyright laws down other countries throats.

If it was freely shared by the author of the content then it is completely legal, such as Linux distributions, freeware apps, etc. Things out of copyright also fall into the legal to share category.

Anything that the author or distributor charges/charged for, or anything protected by copyright, is not legal to share.

True but if you have your own legitimate key from the app maker.
If a download isn't available and you download from a torrent.
In some aspects it is, long as you can show legit proof you have a key to match and use it..
Don't worry about it, if you downloading to pirate can't keep it on your machine.
For less than 24 hours or any given time by the author.

I've seen many other countrys do some bizarre things with copyright and pirating.
So america really isn't the only one that has its issues.

We definitely do need copyright/patent reform though.. Our current system blows.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom