LAN Email Server Help

jojo1595

Beta member
Hi all,

I've got a problem I've been working on for the past week or two that I would love some guidance on.

I work for IT support for a computer lab that deals with classified information. The lab that I'm working in is in need of an email server for internal communication only. The lab is completely cut off from the Internet, but it has a windows server box acting as the active directory, DNS, and domain controller for the lab. I've been testing a few different mail server softwares such as kerio and zimbra, but so far they haven't been able to do what I need them to. I need the mail server to connect to the active directory server, which I've been able to do, however, I also need the mail server to host a different domain for each project in the lab, which I have also been able to do. My problem is that I need each domain to contain a subset of the users in the active directory server and for each user in the domain to ONLY be able to send and receive mail from it's own domain. So far all of the software I've tried is allowing the users to see all of the other users in the Active Directory and the project lead doesn't want to split the directory into OU's.

Sorry if it's long-winded, but any suggestions or advice would be super helpful.
Thanks!

Microsoft exchange will do it - but it's not easy to install/use if you haven't done so before.
There will be impacts on your current forest/domain, I.e it will change the schema in active directory.
You could try hMailserver... Iv never tried it in an AD environment but I know you can segregate namespaces and create black/whitelists. Also, it's open source so it's free!

I hadn't considered Exchange, as I though it was a bit overkill for what we needed, but I'll definitely give it a look. I've got a test environment setup in virtualbox so thankfully I can break things as many times as needed :)

I did actually try hMailServer, and it worked great, however since we deal with classified information, all our software in the lab has be be US based.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give them a shot!

Back
Top Bottom