Is it safe to install Microsoft's Office 2010 beta yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi all!

Ok, I did a search here and found some very alarming posts about people needing to reinstall Windows 7 after installing MS Office 2010 beta. After reading several posts, I came to the conclusion that MS Office 2010 has some very serious issues that would actually place my Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit OS at great risk!

Can anyone here elaborate more on this for me please?

Today [in fact, only a few hours ago] Microsoft sent me their invitation to download and use their Office 2010 FREE.

Here is how the email was titled:

Get a sneak peek—Download Microsoft Office 2010 Beta today
Friday, January 15, 2010 12:02 PM
From: "Microsoft Office" <Microsoft@reply.digitalriver.com

I would be very happy to try their beta version BUT only if it DID NOT endanger my Windows 7 Ultimate.

Has Microsoft fixed enough bugs on the Office 2010 release so it is somewhat usable?

I was so happy when they released the Windows 7 R/C because it worked so well....

Shall I continue to follow the "6 month rule" on this version of MS Office 2010?

It's me,

Soar

PS Here is the rest of their email:

Discover how you can bring your ideas to life with Microsoft Office 2010
Download the Beta now >
With the Microsoft Office 2010 Beta, you can try out all the new features that will help take your projects to a higher level — long before the new version of Office is available for purchase. Express your ideas, connect with others, and create amazing results virtually anywhere life takes you with Office 2010.
• Turn ideas into powerful presentations. In addition to the enhanced image-editing tools, now you can edit video files right in Microsoft PowerPoint 2010. And with Broadcast Slide Show, you can deliver your presentations in real time to virtually anyone with an Internet connection.1

• Manage email easily. Gain control over your email with Microsoft Outlook 2010. The new Conversation view lets you consolidate the discussions you're interested in, ignore the ones you're not, and get more things done faster.

• Organize your thoughts. Keep track of your best ideas with Microsoft OneNote 2010. It gives you one convenient place to collect any thoughts, images, videos, or Web links for a project — and then find them with a simple search tool.

• Work however and whenever you want. Microsoft Office Backstage view has a quick way to store documents online and access them from virtually anywhere. And Microsoft Office Web Applications make it easy to work on group projects together, whether you're miles apart or just down the hall.2
Experience how Office 2010 adds impact, energy, and efficiency to every project. Download the Office 2010 Beta today.

Okay you misread that topic. I know cause i was part of it. The problem was from using the Technical Preview and then trying to go to the Beta. Not from starting with the Beta. There is no issue if you install just the Beta and not use the Technical Preview at all.

I have used the Beta with no harm on my install of Win7 since the day after the Beta was released.

It's beta software. By definition that means it'll have bugs. I wouldn't install any beta software on my primary system. That's what a VM is for. Even if 50 people told you it worked fine for them, that doesn't mean it wouldn't crash on your system.

Okay you misread that topic. I know cause i was part of it. The problem was from using the Technical Preview and then trying to go to the Beta. Not from starting with the Beta. There is no issue if you install just the Beta and not use the Technical Preview at all.

I have used the Beta with no harm on my install of Win7 since the day after the Beta was released.

Mak,

Thanks and my error in not reading the posts correctly. Um, are you having any other serious issues with it [crashing, BSOD, etc.]?

Thanks,

Soar

I have not had any problems with crashes, BSoD or anything else. After removing the TP and reformatting due to complications from the upgrade from the Technical Preview to the Beta. It has run like a complete champ.

I have not had any problems with crashes, BSoD or anything else. After removing the TP and reformatting due to complications from the upgrade from the Technical Preview to the Beta. It has run like a complete champ.

After hearing your good report, I have decided to download and install it!

One more question...

I presently own and happily use Office 2007 Ultimate. Is the Office 2010 Beta that Microsoft is offering an Ultimate version or one of their other versions [Standard, Home and Student, Professional, Enterprise, etc.]?

Edit: I just went to their download site and it appears to be Professional. I will need to wait because I presently use some of the applications in the Ultimate version. I also do not want to have two versions of Office on my computer because perhaps it is inviting trouble.

Have a good one Mak!

Thanks,

Soar

Actually there's also Professional Plus, which is what they seem to be calling Ultimate at the minute.

Actually there's also Professional Plus, which is what they seem to be calling Ultimate at the minute.

Yam,

Thanks and yes, I just saw that they are offering the Professional Plus which includes the same apps as in the 2007 Ultimate. Yeah MS!

I just noticed they are giving me the choice of downloading:

1. Developer download

2. IT Professional download

Which one is best and can you tell me why?

I remember they gave us the same choice of IT Pro and/or Developer sessions at the Microsoft Conferences last year in SF. I kind of like the IT Pro better than the Developer because it was more up my ally.

Thanks,

Soar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom