Internet connection sharing behind a router

Status
Not open for further replies.
linksys wireless router setup

I have read your advise on setup and you surely have the knowledge to setup a wireless router. I need the complete setup and exactly what to do from a to z on this system. My sister and i are running (her) win xp 2000 (me) winxp pro. We live next door to each other in seperate apts....We want to install a Linksys wireless router to her insight cable dsl modem and using the card antenna on my pc as a network from hers. We are only a wall apart like maybe 20 feet or so...can you tell me or email me a text message which would be even better for all the steps to setting this up from A to Z ....Awaiting your reply...Shanadoia

Re: linksys wireless router setup

Shanadoia said:
I have read your advise on setup and you surely have the knowledge to setup a wireless router. I need the complete setup and exactly what to do from a to z on this system. My sister and i are running (her) win xp 2000 (me) winxp pro. We live next door to each other in seperate apts....We want to install a Linksys wireless router to her insight cable dsl modem and using the card antenna on my pc as a network from hers. We are only a wall apart like maybe 20 feet or so...can you tell me or email me a text message which would be even better for all the steps to setting this up from A to Z ....Awaiting your reply...Shanadoia

Shanadoia, I think I've never heard of Win XP 2000 before :) , I think you meant to say Windows 2000 Pro?

If both computer run Win XP, I have already made a guide on setting up a wireless ad hoc, it's on this thread. However I suggest you don't do it unless it's absolutely what you want because it can be a complicating task and it always end up not working if you don't have the technical level. And the other downside is that your sister computer must always be on for you to use the Internet.

I suggest you let her buy a wireless router, and just connect to the wireless router with your wireless card, this isn't any different than going through a wall with a wireless connection to her computer using ICS, instead it just bypass her computer which makes it less of a burden, but it helps simplified things also. The wireless router will allow you to share a single Internet connection also without relying on her computer. You should be able to connect to the wireless router using your wireless card and the router will handle all the traffic to the Internet for both you and your sister's computer.

well now i am really lost but now everything is setup and everything is running "except" now on my end the receptiant, my network card says my Wireless connection Signal Strength is execelent, but it will not recieve anything it has sent out like 312 packets and 0 recieved...If this makes sence to you... I was wondering am i supposed to add the same modem setup software as she had to to setup her cable modem on my recieving end... Please advise on this...Shanadoia

Shanadoia said:
well now i am really lost but now everything is setup and everything is running "except" now on my end the receptiant, my network card says my Wireless connection Signal Strength is execelent, but it will not recieve anything it has sent out like 312 packets and 0 recieved...If this makes sence to you... I was wondering am i supposed to add the same modem setup software as she had to to setup her cable modem on my recieving end... Please advise on this...Shanadoia

No, you shouldn't have to.

Let me ask, can your sister access the Internet while connected to the router? If so, than it might just be your wireless connection.

If so, you want to make sure your wireless card is compatible with the router's specification (usually 802.11b/g). And if you have any security encryption or security features enable, I suggest disable them temporary until you can establish a connection to the Internet. Then you can add the security back one by one.

yes she can connect to aol and the internet with the router hooked up as it is right this moment. the only security that i know of is the firewall and it is unchecked

Shanadoia said:
yes she can connect to aol and the internet with the router hooked up as it is right this moment. the only security that i know of is the firewall and it is unchecked

Using the Windows wireless management: If you go to Control Panel>Network Connection, you'll see your wireless card there, can you right click on it and select "View available wireless network" and on that list, is your sister's wireless network showing up in there?

Another question, this router hasn't been modified yet is it? Just brand new out of box, not configured yet? Because if it's not configured than the router wouldn't have any security enable so the connection should be open for everyone and you should just be able to see it there and just click connect to it.

Thanks for all the info firend: i now have the wirless router runnin strong...there were 2 problems, 1) was tht it had ben used and the default password had been changed...2) I bought an Encore card and antenna which the cd i had was not putting the driver in so it had to be dld...after this i called linksys and a cercive tec. steped me through the whole opr. after i got the new password from the friend that furnished the wirless system...Thanks again and you was hitting the nail on the head so to speak...Sincerly thankful...Shanadoia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom