Interference in wireless networks

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazer3800

Baseband Member
I have your standard 54g linksys router broadcasting to my laptop on the other side of the house. At random times I will loose connection for just a few seconds and sometimes up to about 30 seconds. The only thing I can think of that is causing this would be interference in the medium. Does anyone know of certain devices that may disrupt the signal of wireless networks? I've heard of only certain phones that do this. Any insight would be of help.

Microwaves, Electric Generators uhm...Thats all i can think of right now. Oh and I heard from someone that some cordless phones do it?(dont quote me on that one tho)

2.4 Mhz phones...
my buddy had a Linksys router with 2.4 hertz and his wireless phone. Both were stationed in the same room... he had problems/issues with his connection when the phone rang.

Its like a bad nightmare... so, I guess it can happen :)

move the stations around, just try things... you never know what might help the connection.

your linksys has multiple channels you can select like a cordless phone. try switching to different channels on both acess point/ router and wireless cards.

Absolutely!
A cordless phone may access the same frequency as a wireless router, but thats why different channels exist. I know that for a fact you can change the channel on your router/wireless card and has absolutely no interference.

-Mike

Thanks for the help. It turns out it wasn't interference that was causing my lost signal. The installation disk that came with my wireless card installed two different programs to aid with connection. Well, these two programs running at the same time were conflicting with each other. So I took one off and everything works out fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom