in desperate need of experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibexpiotr

In Runtime
in IT field of course. I'm a semester away from graduating with Bachelors in IT. The thing is I don't have any actual work experience in this field. I mean, I know this stuff, I have some programming background, tool a lot of networking classes, server exchange etc... i did CCNA1 thru 4. But i don't have anything to put on my resume. I tried career service in my college; so far no luck.

Finding a company that does paid internships is a start, or getting into a company as a low level tech to work your way up. With a BS, it should be easy.

Could you do some part time work this semester at a local PC shop? Then once you graduate in May you'll have 3 to 4 months experience in IT as well as a degree. I don't know your school schedule, but working part time would definately be a plus on the resume. This way you're in school so it isn't expected that the work you are doing needs to sustain your living, and since it would be part time they could work around your school.

You've got to think when you place this work experience on your resume you won't say (only worked 8 hours a week here), it will just say March 09 through May 09 Bobs computer shop.

You are right though jumping straight into the IT field w/o any experience will be difficult. Not difficult in the sense you can't do it, but i'm sure the jobs you are looking for right now are the 9 to 5, Mon - Fri, 35k plus a year jobs. Those are the ones that are tough to land w/o any experience.

Good point, working in a PC shop is great hands on experience. I've learned just about everything I know from working in one.

go buy a few second hand servers off ebay, install vmware ESX and install and get working a few dozen virtual servers.

Thats how i got my first job. I told my interviewer that i did not have much experince on my resume, but i had a 4 node vmware ESX server in my basement running 20 + servers .. including a 2 node exchage mailbox cluster.

Considering i have a larger server infustruture at home then most 500 person networks i have been able to emulate a decent sized network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom