Hub, switch, or router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpedient

In Runtime
What are the differences, advantages, or disadvantages of these three (if any)? I am planning to build an internet shop that composes of less than 10 pcs, and planning to add more if situations are favorable. Please help me, thanks!!!

a hub is the most basic network device, it pretty much puts all data sent into it back out on all the ports.

a switch is smarter, it can do some more advanced things like directly connecting two ports that are talking to each other and "auto-sensing" (a combination of crossover and patch cables can be used".

a router is the smartest of all. it can actually modify and direct the data that comes into it as well as a number of other things.

for your purposes perhaps a 16 port switch would do the job or if by less than 10 you actually mean 8 or less i would pick an 8 port switch. it also depends on whether you require an internet connection

thanks, i think ill use the switch...
this is a simple explanation of what I had imagined it would be when I have the network now... please correct me if i am wrong.

1. internet to switch
2. switch to pcs
3. pcs can do internet and online gaming at the same time

is this "mini-diagram" correct?

what do i need the modem for? i thought that by having a switch, "everyone" can see each other now? can you explain to me sir nitestick? and thanks...

how are you connected to the internet? You will have trouble connecting all of them to the internet with just a switch. a router connected to the internet then a switch between the router and the pc's is what you need.

oh i see... so that means...

1. internet to router
2. router to switch
3. switch to pcs
4. pcs can now surf and then play online games

is it like this? thanks

Yes. You may want to go with static IP addresses for LAN gaming and such. I do that at my house and it just seems to work better.

nitestick said:
sounds good enough :) if you use a DSL/ADSL modem with an ethernet port on it then using a short patch cable you can connect it to the switch. all the pc's connected to the switch *should* be able to access each other and the internet

Most "Modem's" ISP's give out do not have built in routing features and theirfor this likely won't work.

+ Any of the modem / router combo's that ISP's actually give out are too weak for handling 10 PC's.

If you are planning on only getting one SINGLE IP Address from an ISP, then you will need a router, so that it can do NAT. If you just hook the internet to the switch, and then connect the PC's to the switch, you will get 1 PC that works, and 9 that won't connect... If you want to have them connect in that fashion, you will have to tell your ISP that you need X (number of computers) IP addresses.... for such a small number, you would be best off with a single IP address, and doing NAT, so that you don't have to shell out extra for the additional IP addresses.

If you plan on doing gaming on this network, I would advise AGAINST getting a hub. (actually, you probably won't be able to easily locate one, as they are VERY close in price to switches, and switches are far superior.).

Good luck in your venture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom