HJT log

Status
Not open for further replies.
i had this problem too. i seem to have found a fix. perhaps this post can go into the google archive for how to fix this problem :)

how to fix the problem of savetubevideo - firefox keeps redirecting to this site. (this worked for me, i cant guarantee it will work for you).

first start firefox in safe mode (the broser's safe mode, not the computer in safe mode then start firefox). does the problem still happen? it stopped for me. if that does work then start in normal mode, goto tools/addons/themes and go back to the default theme. then restart browser. fixed? with me i only had the default theme in the first place so that wasnt it. then tools/addons/extensions. disable everything. that fixed it for me. so from there once you know its one of the extensions then pick and choose which to enable and see who the culprit is, but if they're all disabled there shouldnt be an issue.

i should mention there's still a small problem. if i type something into the address bar, say "hello", it used to google that word. now instead it goes to a different search. but at least i can browse comfortably w/o that savetube site opening every few seconds. yayyy!

the mail problem is gone. if someone can advise how to bring it back to normal that'd be great, but 80% is done. btw if i reinstall firefox will i still retain my passwords and favourites?

Yes if you reinstall firefox you retain all of this stuff. Only cause your profile isnt deleted when you uninstall it. If you delete your profile when you uninstall it then no your passwords will not be saved.

Bring what back to normal? You only talked about being redirected in this topic. Cant help you when you go beyond what you talked about.

i mentioned in the second last paragraph bud. when i used to type in a word into the address bar, without a .com, it used to google it. now it just goes to some strange search site. that's the only remaining problem, a minor one, but if it could somehow be fixed that'd be great. it's still evidence of some spyware residing here.

Well maybe a little better clarification? You talk about the address bar then go on to talk about your mail issue being resolved then go back to asking how to get "it" back to normal. Anyone will have an issue understanding exactly what your talking about. Case in point, i already did.

Which browser? IE, Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Safari, Flock, SlimBrowser? If your referring to Firefox again have you tried completely removing it along with your profile folder and starting over from scratch? Have you tried using the Firefox Sync to backup your passwords and bookmarks so you can do as much? Or something like XMarks since it is still available? That way you can remove the profile without losing such information? Have you tried backing up this information yourself as i have outlined in the Browser Important Topic Sticky?

wow mak easy there. i didnt mean to be offensive apologies if it came across that way.

im talking about firefox. originally i had asked about uninstalling it because i couldnt figure out what to do, but then i solved most of the problem by disabling addons. however although most of the problem is indeed solved, ie the browser doesnt constantly get redirected to a different site, when i type in just one word into the address bar it goes to some customized version of what is claimed to be google as opposed to going to the actual google site.

no i didnt do any of the tips you had mentioned above. it didnt occur to me to do so after i got most of firefox working OK. will try that.

It didnt come across as offensive, but your asking for help without clarifying what your looking for. You think your helping by giving us bits and pieces of information thrown in through out your posts. That actually makes life more difficult. Cause you touch on a subject and then go onto another. You then ask a question about the first subject. How are we to know what your truly looking for when your thoughts are so random? When we ask for clarification you expect us to just know what you meant. Cause you briefly mentioned it in a single line in one of your posts.

So this problem is not an infection of your PC or anything like that, it is just simply a bad addon. So why not go through your Firefox Extensions disabling the latest ones you installed till you find the culprit? Either that or disable them all and turn them back on one by one.

I've already disabled all the addons, that's what fixed the big problem (that the browser was getting redirected). But now the problem still persists that typing a non-traditional address (ie xyz.com) into the address bar goes to some custom search.

i just realized a few minutes ago that this custom site does indeed look like it could be from google, just a strange type of it. is there some place in the browser where it specifies which engine to use to search when something it doesnt recognize is put int he address bar?

I've already disabled all the addons, that's what fixed the big problem (that the browser was getting redirected). But now the problem still persists that typing a non-traditional address (ie xyz.com) into the address bar goes to some custom search.

i just realized a few minutes ago that this custom site does indeed look like it could be from google, just a strange type of it. is there some place in the browser where it specifies which engine to use to search when something it doesnt recognize is put int he address bar?

See if this helps Location bar search.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom