Help Choosing A Language

Status
Not open for further replies.
C# is used a lot in web development now. It's downside is that it's a .NET language and is not multi-platform. Languages like PHP, Python and Java can be used on any OS. C# is limited to Windows without an emulator in Mac or Linux.

Arbiter, you can start with Basic, but I would not learn more than a month or two. It's rarely used and the syntax is very different from many other languages. Many learning Basic and VB as their first language get stuck if they don't move on soon after.

What would be a good place to start learning BASIC? Need a consistent and correct source. I heard of JustBASIC but I tried it and it didn't seem to work well.

Just a question, how does c# stack up in this?
Cuz i would like to start that one up.
It's a fine place to start. I also wanted to add that it is cross-platform with Mono.

What would be a good place to start learning BASIC? Need a consistent and correct source. I heard of JustBASIC but I tried it and it didn't seem to work well.
Choosing a first programming language shouldn't be that difficult. You started this thread one week ago and seem to be suffering analysis paralysis. The fact of the matter is that it doesn't really matter what language you choose. Some are a little easier to pick up than others, especially for a beginner, but if you put in the time and effort you should be able to learn the basics.

That said, the path of least resistance is Python. It's small, powerful, consistent, easy to use, and relevant. However, you can use whatever you like. There's no right or wrong answer here. Just pick one and start learning. You can always post any questions you have on this forum.

Just get this: Download details: Microsoft Small Basic and read this: Download details: Introducing Small Basic - English . Try it out for a few weeks and see if you are capable and enjoy Programming. If you've been a week at deciding on this already then you've already lost the time needed to write a few Programs and decide if you enjoy Programming.

After you decide if you would continue and what level of ability you feel you possess then you can go back and read Comment 9 and decide (with our help if you wish) what your best choice would be.

Well I have been reading my C++ book which just introduced user-defined functions. So I didn't waste a week. But I just want to make sure I'm going in the right direction and wouldn't be better off learning another language. I do like C++ so far and would like to stick with it. Maybe I can check out BASIC for a few weeks to get the core concepts of programming understood.

Do you have a better concept of what is involved in Programming now ?

Did you wish to try some of the questions posed in Comment #9 so we can try to guide you towards a better decision ?

i'm working with small basic, will doing so help me learn other languages with less trouble?

i'm working with small basic, will doing so help me learn other languages with less trouble?
Learning "Small Basic" will help you learn some Languages, especially "Advanced Basic". It will also teach you some skills necessary to utilize some other Languages.

There are some Languages so very different from "Basic" that learning it will help you not, or at least very little.

This is why it is usually better (a better use of your time) to learn something that is more powerful, flexible and current; "Java" was mentioned already but it is not the only choice.
You may be better off learning "Fortran" (also an 'old' Language) or something like "OpenCL" and "C".

It is like asking what type of transportation you should use: Bus, Car, Truck, Tricycle, and if you should use Hydrogen, Diesel, or Gasoline as a Fuel. You will need to learn more before we can ask you useful questions. After a few frustrating months you may decide that you have no time for Programming.

Remind us :star: to check back here if you need more help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom