Europe gets off Microsoft's back -- ends browser antitrust case

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSoD

Call me Mak or K, Mod Emeritus
Microsoft's Web brower antitrust troubles in Europe are essentially over. Starting in mid-March, European Windows users will have option to choose the default Web browser. Microsoft also will embark on a new interoperability initiative.

In a press conference today, the European Union's chief antitrust enforcer, Neelie Kroes, described the situation she sees about browser choice: "It is as if you went to the supermarket and they only offered you one brand of shampoo on the shelf, and all the other choices are hidden out the back, and not everyone knows about them. What we are saying today is that all the brands should be on the shelf."

In a statement, Brad Smith, Microsoft's general counsel, said, "We are pleased with today's decision by the European Commission, which approves a final resolution of several longstanding competition law issues in Europe."

Besides a "Choice Screen" for browsers, "Microsoft has committed to allow interoperability between third party products and several important Microsoft products. These products include Windows, Windows Server, Office, Exchange, and SharePoint," Kroes said.

Source

In a press conference today, the European Union's chief antitrust enforcer, Neelie Kroes, described the situation she sees about browser choice: "It is as if you went to the supermarket and they only offered you one brand of shampoo on the shelf, and all the other choices are hidden out the back, and not everyone knows about them. What we are saying today is that all the brands should be on the shelf."

Erhm. Would you be disapointed if you went into a Logitech shop and complained that they had all the Altech Lansing stuff out the back? Im not going to get into a whole big debate, but ill leave you with what i think. Its their product they can do/put/apply what they want with it/on it.

*Awaits argument/raw of the public*

Personally if I was microsfoft or intel* i would totally pull out of the EU...if they want to ***** over everything I wouldn't allow them to use my product period. They know they can sue whoever and get by with it so I think they just do it for the money anymore. Why complain over microsoft putting their browser on their OS? If you don't like IE just download a different OS...don't ***** over it

* i know this article does not mention intel..but the EU won't leave them alone either so i thought i'd include them

Waffle it's because of the STRICT anti trust / anti competition laws we have, the law forces the EU trade organisations to investigate business practices that seem heavy handed. Say if Company A had a total market dominance and then Company B shows up with a product that performs just as well but can't produce it at the same price for X reason and company A lowers the cost of each unit to less than the cost of production or at cost of production that is what they are trying to address with the intel situation.

The browser issue is one of choice, if you but a Ronson screwdriver you can use Thompson screws but if you are only given the one choice people will only look for that one choice, the EU has seen to many OK your now dependant on us so we are gona screw you or Woops we have gone bust situations to let people be locked in by lack of choice.

Erhm. Would you be disapointed if you went into a Logitech shop and complained that they had all the Altech Lansing stuff out the back? Im not going to get into a whole big debate, but ill leave you with what i think. Its their product they can do/put/apply what they want with it/on it.

*Awaits argument/raw of the public*
Sorry, but this is NOT a article written by me or showing my thoughts. It was directly from BetaNews and its author.

My thoughts are more toward what Waffle had posted. Even after reading what Saxon had posted, i still say forget the EU. the topic was brought up by Opera, the Norwegian company. Who by the way has less market share than any other browser out there.

So who are they to say that IE was stopping them from becoming a big name? Firefox was out almost a decade after them. Chrome was out just a couple of years. Yet it is only IE?

What about OS X? Your trying to tell me that even though those sales are minor compared to PC's that Safari or Apple isnt stopping them? How the frick does that add up? What about Linux? That isnt bundled with IE and IE doesnt work on it at all. Yet Opera still claims that it is only IE and Microsoft? Sorry but that is utter garbage.

Opera has done a **** poor effort to get support for their browser. There is little to no advertising, no push, marketing campaigns and a lack of overall support for the browser. I have been on their forums. They blame everyone else, even when it is clearly teh browsers fault. They blamed Microsoft and made a big stink so they could get their name out there more. They will still be passed over and frankly it is bull.

I think M$ should pull out of the EU and let them fend for themselves. Sorry to those part of it but seriously it is garbage what they have pulled against M$. First the bundle of WMP, which like the browser makes NO SENSE at all since you can just download and install a media player, and now this. It is more trouble for M$ to try to work with the EU than to just pull out. It wouldnt hurt M$ that much.

Microsoft has never said or never even gestured that since IE or WMP is bundled that people are dependent on only them. People are just that stupid to not know there is a alternative.

Sorry, but this is NOT a article written by me or showing my thoughts. It was directly from BetaNews and its author.

My thoughts are more toward what Waffle had posted. Even after reading what Saxon had posted, i still say forget the EU..............

I never stated i was directly talking to you, what i said i just put in a more direct way towards the person you were quoting. :big_smile:

They should pull out of the EU btw, or at least threaten to if they dont stop dragging them to court for crap such as this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom