Christmas Time... Time for a TV... but oh.. am I dated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so update.

I plugged it in and tried it out. Games look pretty good on it, although I was a little close so it was a tad un-clear. Gonna move the rest of the desks and stuff and get the cable box hooked up to it to see what TV looks like on it.

As for the colour- i didn't notice a change lookin at different angles. Top to bottom, side to side, even diagonal it didnt' do that black-out invert colour thing that I've seen LCDs do.... so what does that mean?

Means you're not using a cheap-arse TN panel. Viewing angles on those have been improved, but they're still very poor.

Westinghouse is an old name, I have an old CRT tv set made by them, it's about 20 years old now, still works to this day, and has sharp lines for an old CRT. I have a samsung panel, lasted a few years before I had to replace caps, common issue is where manufactures used some really crappy caps on the tv sets.

Not fully happy here.... explain:

Seein what appears to be scan lines during TV viewing.
seeing what appers to be ghost imaging/image duplication (side to side mostly) during TV view
Some channels (most of the HD ones... ) Cut off the sides of the screen , like Cartoon Network, I can't see the "N" on the "CN" logo on the side/bottom corner.
Seeing some color bleeding on TV mode. Like where blue and yellow are next to each other - it's green, which looks bad on Cartoons because it's not supposed to be that way. The Green Haze line in this instance isn't supposed to exist...

TV info says it's in 480i. Not sure if that's just TV or what (Have Dish Network with HD stuff...)

Games look ok - but I think I see stutter/jitter. During cutscenes I noticed a bit of jitter/lag - but it could just be Halo Reach (one of the cutscenes has the camera damaged and it flickers the image) so I need to test with another game.

is there anything I can do about any of this? Or should the TV be returned?

I realize connection may be needed to id problem so, Dish network, wired to inside of house, to a sat box, sat box through the wall , wall to TV.

In MY room it's Sat-wall-a small sat box-TV

Both methods/rooms use the Antenna connection (coaxil I think .. whatever, the screw on one)

I ask if I should return because I am told that one TV in the family had similar issues but eventually "warmed up" to having clear color and such... dunno why it would need time to like burn in properly..

Halo Reach lags, they pushed the console a bit too far in some aspects. If your TV says the feed is 480i, then you will have low quality picture. Co-ax does not have the ability to get HD content for the most part I don't think? You should be using a higher quality cable.

I never noticed any lag at all on Reach on my 21.5 1080P monitor that is for my computer.

But back to the TV - talked with my TV provider and I will only get 480i due to other stuff.

This should NOT effect my gaming though.

So... a commercial was on, Ending with a red star on a white backgound - but the star had a green hue around it - I think that was bleeding over, is there a way to fix that?

what about the scan lines? is that what 480i is supposed to look like?

DIsh network thinks its the reciever box not being 1080P but also thinks its the TV for scan lines ><

Grrrrr

So black, flickering, horizontal lines - mostly noticed near the top of the TV screen, plus color problem (like the green showing from a red star on a white background)

Could they be signal problem? or TV related? if TV related: can it be fixed, or send the TV back for return?

i = interlaced = scan lines, the TV is set to a low setting, due to your box not being HD.... To have HD you need an HDTV, an HD capable box, and the cables need to support HD content.

You are using co-ax, you will have clarity issues.

Yes fellas, I know, but we strayed from the possible issue now

the color thing... White Background, Red Star thing, with Green Hue..... this is not just a "Non HD" thing...... this is more severe.... or is it?

and to clearify - basically I need to upgrade my Satelite Box to an HD one and use an HDMI cable to get the full 1080P beauty on TV (this is understood, only ignored cuz it requires assistance from the company... or maybe just buying a box and hooking it up myself?)

The problem/scare is the color and lag issues now. What should I look for to see if it's working smoothly and cleanly? Just in games? (if it doesnn't color blur in games, it should be fine with an HD TV source?) or should I try to mess with settings and see if it's something "wrong" with the screen?

I don't want my games stuttering.... or color issues in them... and if there is that problem with HDMI - then something is wrong with the TV, am I right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom