Battlefield 4

How much do you have to play this game before you understand it well enough that it is actually fun?

I'm only lvl 14 and haven't played much since release, but I find, unless I play a mode such as domination that is on a small map, there is too much in this game to get the situational awareness necessary to have fun. I'm sure this is partly due to poorer map design than the classic games like BF2 and 2142 and an overwhelming number of equipment/gun options compared to previous games.

It seems to me, except for that pile of crap that is operation Metro, these newer bf games don't have any infantry combat focused conquest maps that you can get your head around in a reasonable amount of playtime like the older games.

How much did you guys have to play this game before it was intuitive for you to figure out where enemies were likely to be and go and do next?

How much do you have to play this game before you understand it well enough that it is actually fun?

I'm only lvl 14 and haven't played much since release, but I find, unless I play a mode such as domination that is on a small map, there is too much in this game to get the situational awareness necessary to have fun. I'm sure this is partly due to poorer map design than the classic games like BF2 and 2142 and an overwhelming number of equipment/gun options compared to previous games.

It seems to me, except for that pile of crap that is operation Metro, these newer bf games don't have any infantry combat focused conquest maps that you can get your head around in a reasonable amount of playtime like the older games.

How much did you guys have to play this game before it was intuitive for you to figure out where enemies were likely to be and go and do next?

I think the key on the larger Conquest maps is to join a squad at the beginning of the round and then try to spawn on a squadmate if you die. This applies to Domination too. Doing this will allow you to jump right to an area instead of running across vast expanses of land and getting sniped, run over or blasted. Most of the time the fighting in any round will be centered around specific areas and will sort of migrate to others as the match progresses. Use that to your advantage. If you want to jump in to the action, spawn on a squadmate that is near the action. If you want to go cap a point that looks sort of quiet, spawn closer to that area (watch for campers). The bottom line is that, unless you are playing TDM, BF4 is not your typical run and gun FPS game. You need to put some thought into where you are going and what you plan on doing when you get there.

If you would rather play run and gun, give Chain Link mode a go. It is Domination with more strategy. I loved it. You need to get DLC in order to unlock it though. Can't remember which one...

I think the key on the larger Conquest maps is to join a squad at the beginning of the round and then try to spawn on a squadmate if you die. This applies to Domination too. Doing this will allow you to jump right to an area instead of running across vast expanses of land and getting sniped, run over or blasted. Most of the time the fighting in any round will be centered around specific areas and will sort of migrate to others as the match progresses. Use that to your advantage. If you want to jump in to the action, spawn on a squadmate that is near the action. If you want to go cap a point that looks sort of quiet, spawn closer to that area (watch for campers). The bottom line is that, unless you are playing TDM, BF4 is not your typical run and gun FPS game. You need to put some thought into where you are going and what you plan on doing when you get there.

If you would rather play run and gun, give Chain Link mode a go. It is Domination with more strategy. I loved it. You need to get DLC in order to unlock it though. Can't remember which one...

I'll give chainlink a try. Thank you for the suggestion. I wish they would design maps like they used to instead of forcing you into these other modes if you didn't want to play on vast open battlefields. Half to two-thirds of the maps in 2142 were infantry focused, and they were awesome. There was strategy (the maps were way larger than any sort of deathmatch type game) but you never had to worry about anything worse than a walker or two.

How long did it take you before you knew the flow very well?

And I do know how you are supposed to play this game. It may not be time and it may be that the map design has just ruined the gameplay for me. I don't know. I know the karkand maps in bf3 were good. I was way better on those maps than on any others in the game (only played about 10 hours of bf2 as well).

I'll give chainlink a try. Thank you for the suggestion. I wish they would design maps like they used to instead of forcing you into these other modes if you didn't want to play on vast open battlefields. Half to two-thirds of the maps in 2142 were infantry focused, and they were awesome. There was strategy (the maps were way larger than any sort of deathmatch type game) but you never had to worry about anything worse than a walker or two.

How long did it take you before you knew the flow very well?

And I do know how you are supposed to play this game. It may not be time and it may be that the map design has just ruined the gameplay for me. I don't know. I know the karkand maps in bf3 were good. I was way better on those maps than on any others in the game (only played about 10 hours of bf2 as well).

It took me a bit to adjust because I played CoD for a long time. Playing with other people that are familiar is a good way to learn. Try running around with someone and watch them for a few rounds. Sticking together is HUGE anyway.

You may also want to consider trying a private server that has vehicle use switched off, but I would highly recommend just spawning in with someone in a vehicle and having fun as a gunner. You could even drive one yourself. The land vehicles are pretty simple to drive. Honestly, if the vehicles in the game are your main point of contention, I think another FPS would be better for you though.

That chainlink actually looks pretty good. I heard that expansion was pretty infantry focused. I have premium, but I haven't played since naval strike came out. Even then, only played a few matches. I'll have to give it a go so premium wasn't a complete waste.

That chainlink actually looks pretty good. I heard that expansion was pretty infantry focused. I have premium, but I haven't played since naval strike came out. Even then, only played a few matches. I'll have to give it a go so premium wasn't a complete waste.

Based on what you have been saying, I think you will really like Chain Link. It helps to have a couple of people you know playing with you, but you can play solo.

The deal with BF4 is you have to play it consistently to even manage a decent amount of kills, and in turn to make it fun. It took too many hours for me to even think the game is fun, and sometimes I find it more of a pain in the ass than actually fun.

Obliteration can be a lot of fun depending on the map. Some have a lot of vehicles, some have few. If you can find one with little to no armor it is awesome.

Playing on Paracel Storm, Flood Zone, Operation Locker (no vehicles, fairly tight quarters), Pearl Market, and Propaganda all give some good infantry action.

Back
Top Bottom