AMD to discuss next-gen GPUs in June, expects to receive love letters from various fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think we should expect 7000 cards till winter at the earliest if they are revealing details in June. I think you would be ok upgrading to a 6990 and Bulldozer in June/July and it would be a great increase over your current setup.

I don't think we should expect 7000 cards till winter at the earliest if they are revealing details in June. I think you would be ok upgrading to a 6990 and Bulldozer in June/July and it would be a great increase over your current setup.

Wait until June/July next year? That is a long wait but I'm willing to.

No I was saying that we won't be expecting 7000 series cards until this winter at the earliest so if you got a Bulldozer chip and a 6990 in june you wouldn't regret it.

waiting for the possibly named 7000 series is killing me inside!
Wait as long as you can stand it since what you do end up buying will be cheaper and you will have more info on which to base your decision. Wait until you spot a 6xxx on sale and buy one (or two) of those.

That said, rumor is that the 7xxx is only a die-shrink and there might be room for a few more shaders; of course it is expected to operate at a lower wattage.

While you wait there is a pretty picture to look at of the '7000 chip' here:

AMD Radeon HD 7000 series may come in summer, Southern Islands-series design completed, the first GPUs:
http://translate.googleusercontent....di.htm&usg=ALkJrhgeTZsRPX2xHz0pCoAdjTS2Td7voA

I did the waiting game on the 5xxx cards, bought one 5870 at full price when I built the PC and instead of switching up to a 6xxx card I bought another 5870 on sale for CrossFireX. I can't say I'm at all disappointed, the setup is more than good enough to run most games at 3x1080p Eyefinity. I planned on upgrading to 7xxx when it came out but if it's coming out this year I may wait until 8xxx so I can get my money's worth out of the cards I already have. I don't mind a long wait as long as the PC I have is good enough to play games, I built this one because my old computer couldn't really play any games from the past few years and my laptop kept having issues.

I'm still using my 4870. I had the 5xxx series, but had to sell. May end up getting the 7xxx series, instead of upgrading again within the next month. I can wait, my 4870 can max out all my games that I play.

Oh man, I'm still using a 4890 and it's more than adequate for my purposes. At the very least I would wait for the 7000 series to come out before you buy something like the 6990, for budget purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom