Potentially the longest thread in history...

It's still high end. How is i7 ivy bridge and GT650m not high end ? I bet it's faster than 99% of PC's in use today in the western world. And like I keep saying, there are hardly any (if any at all ?) laptops of the same spec which are as thin. They are normally like 1.5inches+ such as the Alienware laptops.

I know there are a lot of high end laptops out there. But it's not the kind of laptop you see everywhere that costs $299 from a high street store by Dell..

And I happen to like that fancy case, thank you very much ;)
I said run of the mill because most high end laptops (that cost about 1000 less mind you) have similar specs minus the pointless screen. For instance, look at TJs laptop, or even Yami's. Almost identical and IIRC TJs GPU is better.

I don't think it looks as nice at all. All the small details are just.. uglier than apples newest implementation. Off centre trackpad throws the whole level of symmetry off, larger bezel, black lid and black base are a downer. And it looks about twice as thick, which does definitely matter when you travel a lot on public transport like me. Don't get me wrong it's better than most laptops, but I honestly do not think it looks as clear or sharp.

2880x1800 screen makes a huge difference. It looks so sharp. It's awesome for photograph and video editing. Reading text heavy webpages is just nicer all round - the exact same reason everyone prefers high res screens on phones.

The trackpad on MBP's is the best i've tried, too. The keyboard is pretty damn good too. Though to be fair, i've not tried that particular asus model.

I really do think $1000 is worth the thinness, retina screen, design etc. I would say the exact same thing is Asus did a high res, thin version of that laptop for $1000 more. It just makes so much difference too me.

Apple Maps is a bit of a funny one. So much of it is bad, but there are good parts too. Read Anandtechs article on it. Anand gets it pretty much right.

I know it's not good, but on the other hand, I can't imagine Google Maps was particularly amazing on day one. Creating a map of the world can't be an easy task. But yeah, they need to spend WAY more money and WAY more time to bring up to a level that would of made it acceptable to replace the Google Maps app.
Your screen point is moot. Who is going to photo and video edit on A) a laptop and B) a 15" screen. I find it as pointless as people going for 1080p on phones. :confused:

I will side with you on this, they look nice, but then again I also find the looks of some Asus laptops nice too. Even some Dells.

Then again, if I was going to argue that I want something thin, powerful, looks nice, and has a pricetag like that then I wouldn't want to forget about this.

Razer Blade - The World's First True Gaming Laptop - Best Gaming PC

It also has a nifty ass touchpad/touchscreen thing and those LCD keys. Oh yea, and the screen isn't a pointless size, has a better GPU, 500GB HDD and an SSD.

(side note: why the heck wouldn't Apple package a dedicated GPU that would help pushing that higher resolution with a higher buffer?)
Battery life and heat. That new screen sucks serious power, the upgraded battery cells make it break even with what the older MBP could get. If they added a second dedicated GPU it would be an extra power draw, plus the fact that yeah, the heatsink options inside such a thin case are limited. Especially with a glued in battery taking up most of the space.

and having that high of a resolution on a 15" monitor is kinda...pointless.
I'll grudgingly agree, in this case in particular. While I'd love to see the highest res displays capable on anything and everything, I realise we have to talk pragmatically here.

For one thing, the manufacturing process for the screens is terrible from a repair sense (and eco sense), if you didn't shell out the extra $350 for Applecare and you damage the screen after a year, you're gonna have a baaad time.

I see both types every day (our workplace is Apple-centric in terms of hardware for both servers and workstations). I'd definitely say the screen looks very cool, and it is definitely sharper if you put your face really close, but from an average sitting position, it's a lot harder to tell. Not "I can't tell", just not "omg wow suuuch le difference".

The physical screen size is already small enough that 1080p looks smooth already. And I mean, what content am I looking at exactly that's made this massively expensive upgrade worth it? A UHD picture of a cat? oooh, cash well spent. I do a lot of photo editing (printing company), but not on a freaking 15 inch screen lol. I've got a separate 24" screen for that
I couldn't justify it for myself, just my opinion though.

Last edited:
Re: Today I have...

We went to the park today, then Petsmart, and now back home. Probably wind down with some dinner and a movie on my nice big screen. I really love this projector.

@Yami yeah I've heard it's pretty bad out of the US
@S0ULphIRE Supposedly Google has a standalone app in works and / or already submitted to Apple

Already submitted, but won't Apple block it now on the "replicating core iOS functionality" grounds or whatever the usual spiel is?

Oh they're IPS alright ;) beautiful colour management. In fact, that's why we bought (and paid so much) for them; the accuracy of the displays for colour calibration is amazing. What you see on screen is what our prints look like.

Well, until they've managed to bring it up to par, here's a collection of particularly good Apple Maps fails, ranging from flabbergasting to hilarious:
The Amazing iOS 6 Maps

All my friends were so excited about Apple maps, telling me how much better it would be than Google Maps. Psshhh. #Hipsters

I said run of the mill because most high end laptops (that cost about 1000 less mind you) have similar specs minus the pointless screen. For instance, look at TJs laptop, or even Yami's. Almost identical and IIRC TJs GPU is better.

Your screen point is moot. Who is going to photo and video edit on A) a laptop and B) a 15" screen. I find it as pointless as people going for 1080p on phones. :confused:

I will side with you on this, they look nice, but then again I also find the looks of some Asus laptops nice too. Even some Dells.

Then again, if I was going to argue that I want something thin, powerful, looks nice, and has a pricetag like that then I wouldn't want to forget about this.

Razer Blade - The World's First True Gaming Laptop - Best Gaming PC

It also has a nifty ass touchpad/touchscreen thing and those LCD keys. Oh yea, and the screen isn't a pointless size, has a better GPU, 500GB HDD and an SSD.

The 660m is slightly better than the 650m. But overall, I like my G75 way more than the MBPR. I used one of the ones at work for a few days and besides for the fact that I don't like Mac (never have, I'm not trying to hate, I just don't like it) it just didn't impress me. The screen was great. Sharp text, and nice colors. However, I prefer a matte screen. I won't use a lappy without one after using my
G75 for so long. Another problem I had was heat. It got pretty warm when I tried to game on it. Not hot, but warm. Mine doesn't even get warm when I game. Maybe I'm spoiled, but I'm so used to all the little "amenities" on mine that I can't switch to an MBP.

Back
Top Bottom