User Name in Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim

Sir Timothy
Well, i've been a bit of a prat
Bought my sister a new laptop for her birthday, and installed Vista (Home Premium)
I thought it woulfd be funny to give her a funny user name...
When i decided i wanted to change it, i did the normal process, and the one displayed on the logon and start menu is right now.
Hoooowever, the one in C: users, is still the original one...
Anyone know how to change it...?

Cheers

You will have to rename the account back to the original name. Then Create a new user with the user name you want. Then import the profile to that account, then delete the old account.

That is the only way to get rid of the user folder. Other than that it does not rename the folder cause you would have to reinstall ALL software cause the data is already associated with that folder name and as such changing it would cause all programs not to function properly.

Well its either that or you cant use anything you installed. If you think about it when you install a program it installs to:

C:\Program Files\<program name>

But the application profile data is stored at:

C:\Users\<username>\Roaming\<program name>

So if you change the <username> to <username2> the program will not have that name stored for the location of it data and when you go to start it...ERROR.

This is why the Profile folder doesnt change names when you rename a profile. Cause it would take a whole system wide sweep of renaming ever executable, registry entry and everything else just to keep it running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom