About Security and Network Tools

Support for XP may have ended, but I know plenty of people that still swear by it. Seems silly to refuse to give ideas just because someone wants to use something that there is not official support for.

This might be what you're looking for: Comodo https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/free-internet-security.php

It will run on XP with min requirements of:
256 MB available RAM
210 MB hard disk space for both 32-bit and 64-bit versions
Internet Explorer Version 5.1 or above

Support for XP may have ended, but I know plenty of people that still swear by it. Seems silly to refuse to give ideas just because someone wants to use something that there is not official support for.

This might be what you're looking for: Comodo https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/free-internet-security.php

It will run on XP with min requirements of:
256 MB available RAM
210 MB hard disk space for both 32-bit and 64-bit versions
Internet Explorer Version 5.1 or above

I disagree - it's aging OS that needs to be replaced. XP shouldn't have been around for as long as it was.

I disagree - it's aging OS that needs to be replaced. XP shouldn't have been around for as long as it was.

You're welcome to feel that way, I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise. In fact, I agree with you. But that doesn't change the fact that by refusing to give ideas, what you're achieving is opposite to the entire idea of tech forums.

My goal was to (and always will be) to help the person who posted achieve their goal within the means they have. Sure, the best option often involves spending money, but too many people don't have the option to spend money on upgrading to a newer Windows version just because, especially when the computer they have is operating efficiently enough for their purposes.

You're welcome to feel that way, I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise. In fact, I agree with you. But that doesn't change the fact that by refusing to give ideas, what you're achieving is opposite to the entire idea of tech forums.

My goal was to (and always will be) to help the person who posted achieve their goal within the means they have. Sure, the best option often involves spending money, but too many people don't have the option to spend money on upgrading to a newer Windows version just because, especially when the computer they have is operating efficiently enough for their purposes.

And I understand that; but trying to "secure" XP is a bit akin to trying to plug holes in a sinking ship with duct tape as it's getting hit with torpedoes - the holes are just gonna keep coming :p.

I can not condone an operating system that is no longer secured. No patches and or any new holes plugged. XP is still a good operating system but it should not be used on line. If you have older hardware or software that requires XP then go for it but it must go off line to keep running without problems arising
Using any security|networking tools should not be done with XP, it's way past time to put that old horse to rest

Those are great points that I'll think about... As, in time, I'm hoping that the person I'm with will upgrade to a different OS... For now, it seems to be working okay. We have been using Comodo ... However, he is looking for something different. Comodo, didn't help him before, it sort of influenced something, when he had malware. Comodo, locked him out of his administration tools and panel. He couldn't do anything constructive with his desktop. So, that's when we decided to format the hard drive. Which I'm thankful to the person(s), here, who have helped me with that.

Thank you for the thoughts, opinions, as I will give this some thought. I think, in heart, Windows XP will never be forgotten. It was one of the best, I think... As I remember, Windows 95 and Windows 98 and 2000, and the others amongst that time frame, were not as Great, as was Windows XP. I think that Windows XP opened up a lot of doors, to what we have now...

Honestly, it is difficult to keep up with Microsoft, especially, when I'm not too informed with the big news. I had no idea, till now, that there was even a Windows 10. I had heard of a Windows 9, but had no idea it was already released.

I have windows 8 on my laptop, I love it. I cannot imagine switching to another OS, and I don't think I'd be ready to anytime soon. Money is quite "tight", and difficult to come by these days...

The computer with Windows XP re-installed on it, is working decently. I agree, there may be some insecurities and without non-maintenance to keep it stable, I fear that it won't last. But, I'm hoping that with all the securities tools and help, that maybe possibly, it will help it to be stable, at least decently. :)

Thank you again for all your thoughts and opinions...

(I do use Comodo, for my Laptop which I have Windows 8... The person I'm with, is looking for something different than Comodo. Convincing the person I'm with to upgrade the OS on his computer, isn't so simple... lol But, he seems to be taken by Windows 8... So, hopefully, when we have the money, he will consider upgrading...)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom