IDE ports... - Tech & Computer Forums

Go Back   Tech & Computer Forums > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 05:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Unhappy IDE ports...

OK so i just bought a new Asus Mobo for a new rig im building.. Newegg.com - ASUS P5N-D LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards my tech level is average, well after much research and inspection, i've relized that there is only 1 IDE slot, but i have both an IDE DvD drive and 2 IDE format Hard drives (just bought a 320 gig last Xmas) and im wondering if i can hook both the HD and the DvD drive upto the same cable (they come w/ 2 output plugs but ive always had 2 HD's pluged in never mix of 2 diff components) Will i be able to run both DvD and HD off the same cable, or am I going to need to suck it up and get some Sata HDs for my new rig?

Old 06-27-2008, 06:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Default Re: IDE ports...

you can mix and match with ide drives. problem is you can only have 2 hooked up at once. i would suggest getting a SATA optical drive because they are cheaper then a new hdd, and you don't ahve to move stuff over.

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Well IDE is old most people on here making a new system won't use IDE as it's older slower an makes for bad airflow inside a case, as peter said SATA drives are cheep now (god i can recall when a 80gb SATA hard drive cost over £100) get yourself either a new hard drive in sata or a optical drive. You can mix an match with IDE an SATA (i.e. you can have both) but personally i would just upgrade both my drives to SATA.

Want to do even more? Take a look here and join the fight on human trafficking.

Hear and you forget, see and you remember, do and you understand.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Oldie but a goodie

Plus you can plug a SATA drive into your existing IDE slot that you are already using. Make sure your master drive is on the end of the cable when sharing a cable between two drives.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to CrazeD Send a message via MSN to CrazeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
Plus you can plug a SATA drive into your existing IDE slot that you are already using.
...What?

SATA and IDE are not backwards compatible, whatsoever.

Intel Q9400 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3P | G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2 1000 | XFX HD5870

Need website help? PM me!
Old 06-28-2008, 11:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Oldie but a goodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeD View Post
...What?

SATA and IDE are not backwards compatible, whatsoever.

Ok, I forgot to mention that you would use a SATA to IDE bridge chip like this one found at this URL

SATA MINI BRIDGE CONVERTER SATA DRIVE TO IDE CONNECTOR

Also, I braincramped, SATA doesn't need to be set to master or slave. I knew that it could be done though, regarding hooking a SATA drive into a IDE controller slot.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

thanks guys for the info. i think im gunna just shell out for a new sata drive, but my main concern was losing all the data on the old IDE HD's i use a 40 gig for windows and junk and a 320 for games, pics, music etc... Also, A friend told me.. that if i was to build a new system and use my old HD's (with Wind XP installed and upto date) that i wouldnt be able to use the same copy of Windows and i'd have to repurchase it?

Can anyone confirm or bust this Myth?
Old 06-28-2008, 05:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lord Techie

You won't be able to put your old hard drive in a new system an boot it as normal, You would have to reinstall it but as you have basically built a new system (MS classifies a new motherboard as a new system) it would break the TOS to install on a new system. So you would be legally required to buy a new copy of XP.

Want to do even more? Take a look here and join the fight on human trafficking.

Hear and you forget, see and you remember, do and you understand.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

/beats the TOS w/ a Nerf stick

OK so another question, I'm going to need a new OS, i'm planing on Vista. Here is my plan, buy a new SATA HD and install it fresh, BUT, what copy do i need?

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit English 1pk DSP OEI DVD for System Builders - Operating Systems

or

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 English NA DVD - Operating Systems

that's a $110 difference, but what are the difference between the two?
Old 06-29-2008, 01:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Oldie but a goodie

As far as I know OEM software (original equipment manufacturer) is sold for system builders as the description states in your link. It is supposed to be bought with a particular piece or set of hardware normally, and many places sell OEM software, looking for an extra buck or 3.

I am pasting a link:

Microsoft Authorized Distributors List

of "official" sites that Microsoft has posted that are available to buy OEM software legally from Microsoft. Weird, I didn't see Newegg.com there. :freak:
OEM software is not reportedly transferable either.

If I am wrong, sorry for misinformation, but I think I am right.

Also, you may want to read some of this Microsoft SMB Community Blog : OEM Software. Let's Set The Record Straight...