How to change IP address

Status
Not open for further replies.
@OP: I recommend using ProXPN as a VPN, or HideMyAss for a simple web proxy; these are if you are concerned about anonymity.

@KSoD: I believe there are ways to spoof your MAC address pretty easily in Linux. Never done it before but I've seen it configured to change it 50 times/second.

spoof MAC address using software which you can find using google. you could change it in the registry but i honestly wouldnt recommend it since you could make a mess if you don't know what you're doing.

then in command prompt type : ipconfig/renew and ipconfig/release

hope this helps :)

PS. this is what you have to do if your IP's static.
if your IP's dynamic it would change with a simple router reboot.

oh and also just to add you could use a proxy
you can find some free ones here:
Free Proxy Servers - Protect Your Online Privacy with Our Proxy List

these redirect your traffic from your IP address to another server to the website. So what is displayed is the proxy's IP address when you visit a site, instead of your own.

So why do you need to change your IP address anyway??

Last edited by a moderator:
spoof MAC address using software which you can find using google. you could change it in the registry but i honestly wouldnt recommend it since you could make a mess if you don't know what you're doing.

then in command prompt type : ipconfig/renew and ipconfig/release

hope this helps :)

PS. this is what you have to do if your IP's static.
if your IP's dynamic it would change with a simple router reboot.

That will change your internal network IP, not your external IP (what is viewed from the Internet).

That will change your internal network IP, not your external IP (what is viewed from the Internet).

Oh right lol
sorry this is off-topic but if you spoof the MAC address and IP Address simultaneously can you browse the internet??

Oh right lol
sorry this is off-topic but if you spoof the MAC address and IP Address simultaneously can you browse the internet??

No. Spoofing is nothing more than a parlor trick. It will not give you access to the internet.

Put it this way if you have no network and try using a spoof, it isn't going to give you a connection from nothing. You still have to have a connection somewhere.

The fact is trying to spoof an IP address is not easy and very illegal. Not to mention it is only done on the Windows side not the side that gets broadcast to the world. So no matter what even if your trying to spoof, in the end you still broadcast your real IP and will get into trouble.

No. Spoofing is nothing more than a parlor trick. It will not give you access to the internet.

Put it this way if you have no network and try using a spoof, it isn't going to give you a connection from nothing. You still have to have a connection somewhere.

The fact is trying to spoof an IP address is not easy and very illegal. Not to mention it is only done on the Windows side not the side that gets broadcast to the world. So no matter what even if your trying to spoof, in the end you still broadcast your real IP and will get into trouble.

no thats not what i meant, kmote. first of all, I didn't mean to get a connection from nowhere. What I meant was that if you spoof the internal IP and MAC address simulatneously you're spoofing a computer bascially but it's standalone (offline) cos in the ARP table it would be a different match. so you can spoof the MAC address but with spoofing MAC address, IP address and computername simulataneously, the internet connection would be lost. Please correct me if im wrong.

IP spoofing isn't illegal unless you're launching a DDOS attack, but that's not what I meant, kmote.

proxies hide your identity
if you're worried about anonymity on forums it's pretty simple (on most forums !)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not kmote.

Again spoofing the IP address and MAC cant be done. At least not beyond Windows. Even if you figure out how to, all you are doing is that within Windows. Once you go online, you are still connecting via your ISP and your IP. You would have to hack the ISP mainframe and from there get that to allow you to spoof the information it sends out. If not all you are doing is making the changes within Windows and not to what your sending out to the world.

An yes it is still very illegal to spoof. Just like connecting to a neighbor's unsecure WiFi network is illegal. It is not your service, you are not paying for it and you are stealing it, therefor making it very much illegal. You are trying to hide your IP and MAC address, that is illegal in every sense as it serves no legal purpose to do so.

Proxies can hide you, but not totally. Cause you still have to connect to their server and then get sent out to the world. Guess what? Your IP is still shown as connecting to that Proxy server and from there a trace route can be done on that IP, to the Proxy and if you are really good you can even trace it back to the original IP. There are tools out there that can do such things. I have them myself. So even if someone was trying to hide behind a Proxy, it can still be caught. As no matter what there is a trail that is left to your PC and your IP.

So anyway you look at it if you want to stay anonymous online, best of luck. You have to send out your IP to something and from there connect to something to go to a website. So there is a trail to you somewhere. It is just finding it. It can be done by people with the proper knowledge.

Last edited:
So anyway you look at it if you want to stay anonymous online, best of luck. You have to send out your IP to something and from there connect to something to go to a website. So there is a trail to you somewhere. It is just finding it. It can be done by people with the proper knowledge.

Just adding on with my 2 cents:

To get anywhere close to some sort of anonymity, you'd have to go through a VPN service that does not log it's connections (such as BTGuard).

Spoofing a MAC only changes the MAC via software and gives the network you're connecting to a different MAC in the DHCP list under your PC. To make it work for the outside you need to spoof the MAC of your modem, and if you have a router that too as all of it can be identified as your IP address. Thing is, most online identification is done via the external IP of your connection so usually a proxy or VPN will make you anon besides to select few. They can find you no matter how many sites you bounce off of or spoof your MACs. Also, your ISP knows your IP that is assigned to your address/modem MAC and they see it before you hit the proxy. Your modems MAC and serial are also assigned to the account holders name and address.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom