One device...two networks

Hydrolus

Beta member
Hello everyone,

I have a question for you all. Hope you can point me in the right direction.

I have a device that runs XP. This device is statically assigned and is used specifically at a home office. This IP can not be be changed. The device works seamless in its home office environment. Now...Once a week I will need to physically move this device to another office so it transfer files to on windows 7 PC that is connected to a switch. I can change any setting required on this W7 PC.

What options do I have to make this work without changing the IP of the device?
I was thinking to using IPV4 alternative settings on the W7 PC but I'm not familiar on how to set it up....not even sure if this is the anwser

Any help is truly appreciated

Why do you have the XP machine set as static? Let your routler set the IP.

Now, what ever you do, both the XP and the W7 machines need to be in the same IP network to be able to talk to each other.

If you do not wish to change any IP, then use a USB stick to transfer files.

use a home router with auto detect internet settings. Connect the WAN port into the network that you are trying to get your XP machine to access. It should pick up DHCP from the other network and configure the router accordingly. Then plug your XP machine into one of the other switch ports and configure the router in the range that your XP machine should be on. This way it looks after routing and NAT all for you with very little configuration. Once you have the router configured you should just have to plug the other network into the WAN port and start pinging away the other subnet.

if they are in ranges that are close together you could do supernetting, by changing the subnet mask to 255.255.254.0 - would enable 192.168.0.X and 192.168.1.X subnets to talk, for example.

Hope this helps. :)

Back
Top Bottom