\\Computer is not accessible. The network path was not found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdplayer

Beta member
A few days ago I installed MicrosoftÂ’s Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 SP4 on one computer. After the successful (?) installation of the update I was not able to access the Internet or other computers on my LAN (Peer-to-Peer).

At that point I uninstalled MicrosoftÂ’s Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 SP4.

After the uninstall I was able to access the Internet but soon after I realized that I could not communicate with the computers at home via the network. All of the other computers can talk and see one another, pass files back and forth etc. They could not see me I could not see them.

Finally after trying many things I removed all networking components from Comet (Comet is the computer that got injured via the Update), reboot then set them up again. Now I can connect to the Internet see and access all computers on the LAN. The down side is that the computers on the LAN can see me (Comet) but cannot access the computer.

Example:
When I am on another computer (Blazer) and trying to reach the other computer (Comet) I get the following message:

\\Comet is not accessible. The network path was not found.
Comet is the computer that got injured via the Update.

On each computer I have done an IPconfig/all. Everything looks correct.
The network configuration data found under the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties is the same for all computers on the LAN with the exception of the IP addresses. The computers addresses were setup manually.

NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled on all computers
From Comet I can ping to the other machines.
Under "Network Identification" tab everything looks correct on the troubled machine (Comet).

Here are a few things that I have tried:

Checked whether NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled.

Made sure that the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service is running and has the proper start type.

Made sure the computer browser service is running

Made sure I have only one transport protocol installed, namely TCP/IP

Rid the computer of adware and spyware.
Ran Spybot Search & Destroy, Spy Sweeper, Ad- Aware, Norton, TrojanHunter & Pestpatrol in safe mode
I have ran Hijack this uploaded the results and waiting to hear from someone about that.

Changed the workgroup name in all computers to a new one, to make sure there aren't any problems there. Changed them back to original names

Named & renamed computers.

I only have one transport protocol installed, TCP/IP..

Ran Lspfix and Winsock fixes.

Removed all networking components, reboot then set them up again.

I donÂ’t know what else to do! Any suggestions or comments are welcome!

Thanks! :)

So you can ping the other computer that you're trying to connect to?

Have you tried \\<ip address> to connect to it, instead of \\Computer?

Thank you for replying caseyc! :cool:

I assume that I am to perform this command in the RUN box. When I enter \\<ip address> it comes back with "The network path was not found"
When I enter \\ComputerName, it comes back with "The network path was not found"

I can ping using the IP address or the computer name.

This is so strange!!

But if I click on the computer name via "Computers Near Me" I get
\\Computer is not accessible. The network path was not found. :eek:

when u do the ping command go to command line by going to run cmd then type ping <ip address>. If this wokes at least you have physical connectivity. If this command doesnt work i suggest that doyour hole network again. I have heard from people that when u update ur sp to another one the networks cant see each other therfore we get your problem. you may of said above but have you gotsp 4 on all computers? even thought this is not needed it would be interesting to see if it works with 4 on al computers. I alsosuggest if u network has a route or a switch touse the tracert command. Again go to run cmd and type tracert <ip address> when this is done post the results on the this topic along with the ip adress of he routers n switches on your network.

hope this helps and reply soon!

Thanks [SC]Hawk for the suggestions!

I used the the TRACERT command. From each machine I can see the number of hops which is over a maximum of 30.
No problems there.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>tracert [IP ADDRESS]

Tracing route to computerName [IP ADDRESS]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <10 ms <10 ms <10 ms computerName [IP ADDRESS]

I am using the Ping command from the CMD line. I can Ping using the IP address and or the Computer Name.

On the two computers that are Windows 2000 they have SP4 on them.

The other two have XP with service packs 2 on them.

Sorry, but I don't feel comfortable shelling out those IP addresses.......

sure u dont have to tell me the address but was the tracert succesful on all hops cause if it want then we may be able to see where to problem happen. could u post a print scrren of ur taracert and if concerned about ip ust hide them fom us in paint

I didn't have to use Paint. I was able to do a cut and paste from the CMD screen.

Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
(C) Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>tracert <IP address>

Tracing route to COMPUTERNAME [IP Address]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <10 ms <10 ms <10 ms COMPUTERNAME [IP Address]

Trace complete.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

From the other machines the results were the same. I have a very small LAN. There are only 4 machines on it. Nothing is wrong with three of them. All four machines give the same results.

Thanks!

does comet have a software firewall of anykind running on it? if so try turning it off then see if it can surf or talk to the others.
i've seen this same senerio played out a couple times and its always been zonelabs or something simular.

snoops said:
does comet have a software firewall of anykind running on it? if so try turning it off then see if it can surf or talk to the others.
i've seen this same senerio played out a couple times and its always been zonelabs or something simular.

Thanks snoops for your comments! :cool:

After a few days of surfing the Internet and trying many things I decided to upgrade to XP SP2. The upgrade went well and I am not having any problems communicating with the other computers on our LAN or the Internet.

I planned on moving to XP anyway. But I was planning on doing it later next year :D . Any way I would have to spend the money for the OS either now or then. It just turned out that I had to spend the money now.

I hope you had a great weekend!

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom