Migrateing from Windows to Linux.

Spud1200

Fully Optimized
I have all ways been afraid of Linux due to its Intimidation and lack of a GUI. I was told by a friend Linux has come on Leaps and Bounds with regards to the GUI and I have Linux Mint running on a Sempron Genuine 2800+ 512Mb and 60GB HDD.. You know what it is, I am Impressed.

I have thoroughly enjoyed using the interface and snooping around the OS it self, Its very Crisp, Clean, and User friendly from what I have seen on the surface so my compliments to those of the Linux Community whom program and develop these Operating Systems.

Now I'm not just going to jump on the Linux bandwagon, I've noticed the Linux OS#s can tell my Windows Systems threw the Router on the Home Network I have, and I'm also curious to learn more.. I really like the Repository available for the Linux System\s available. Its easy and their are no hassle, thats if its based around every OS having its own Server Repository located somewhere physically..

I don't know what to do, I could do a Duel Boot OS, read online, ask Google a lot of Q's. But if I do Migrate to Linux, I want to know what I have to, and also about Security. Best Drive Encryption Software as I'm using Windows ATM with Truecrypt.

What would happen if I put Linux Mint on all systems hear at home, being all four Systems, could I interact with all four systems threw the Switch I have. How would I do it, mabie some sort of Root Dir, I think thats the Directory that come before the acutall user, in my case "Daniel."

What about Drive encryption, File encryption. Anti Malwere.

Is the Linux Community a Small community or Big, how many Distros are their. I know the Linux Distro Mint is based of the Debian OS (think thats rite.)

Whats the worst case scenario if I choose to Migrate to Mint, and mabie branch out in to other OS Linux Distros looking learn but just can seem to understand it. How hard is Linux to learn, understand, such as the Console, I think its call Bash.

Also I know their are many types of Desktops available and I think I read somewhere that a user will spend 75% of their time in the Console.. Being like a popper nerd you know what I mean.

Can anyone help..

I have all ways been afraid of Linux due to its Intimidation and lack of a GUI. I was told by a friend Linux has come on Leaps and Bounds with regards to the GUI and I have Linux Mint running on a Sempron Genuine 2800+ 512Mb and 60GB HDD.. You know what it is, I am Impressed.

I have thoroughly enjoyed using the interface and snooping around the OS it self, Its very Crisp, Clean, and User friendly from what I have seen on the surface so my compliments to those of the Linux Community whom program and develop these Operating Systems.

Probably one of the most confusing thing to newcomers is the way *nix handles drives.

You have your root drive "/" that everything resides in. Even other drives.
For example, I have a 4TB drive mounted in my home directory "/home/ifargle/Drive"

Another thing is the /proc and /dev files.
/proc gives you information about currently running processes, your processor information, etc.
/dev is the "device" directory. It contains "files" that are external devices -- For example, a hard drive would be /dev/sdb, a partition on that drive would be /dev/sdb1, /dev/sdb2, etc.

It also contains TTY connections, /dev/getty1, etc etc. -- I still don't understand everything in this folder :tongue:

/bin is binary files, /lib is kernel files, /tmp is temp files, /etc is configuration files, (network interfaces, samba configs, ssh configs, apache configs, a LOT of stuff is in here). The list goes on and on but that's all I really know off the top of my head :tongue:

Now I'm not just going to jump on the Linux bandwagon, I've noticed the Linux OS#s can tell my Windows Systems threw the Router on the Home Network I have, and I'm also curious to learn more.. I really like the Repository available for the Linux System\s available. Its easy and their are no hassle, thats if its based around every OS having its own Server Repository located somewhere physically..

APT repositories are why I switched to Debian in the first place :tongue: it's so much nicer to just run "apt-get vlc chromium nload htop (etc etc etc) and have everything install in one batch than having to run several dozen installers (for Windows)

I don't know what to do, I could do a Duel Boot OS, read online, ask Google a lot of Q's. But if I do Migrate to Linux, I want to know what I have to, and also about Security. Best Drive Encryption Software as I'm using Windows ATM with Truecrypt.

You could dual boot, but if you ever decide to remove Mint and go with just Windows again, it's a pain. (GRUB is difficult to remove :tongue: You'll need a Windows disk of the currently installed version of Windows to repair correctly)

Wubi would be a good option, but it's ancient and not supported anymore.
And as always, while you experiment, I'd recommend a VM with virtualbox or something.

What would happen if I put Linux Mint on all systems hear at home, being all four Systems, could I interact with all four systems threw the Switch I have. How would I do it, mabie some sort of Root Dir, I think thats the Directory that come before the acutall user, in my case "Daniel."

What about Drive encryption, File encryption. Anti Malwere.

Is the Linux Community a Small community or Big, how many Distros are their. I know the Linux Distro Mint is based of the Debian OS (think thats rite.)
That's a question best left to someone else... You're probably best setting up a server-like computer that stays on 24/7 that contains files and share that through a samba share. (/etc/samba/) You can even password protect it and use "/etc/fstab" (File System TABle) to mount on boot.

Drive encryption is best left to truecrypt, and file encryption is what gpg is for. HOWEVER, gpg does not support folder encyrption. In that case, truecrypt is a better answer. Antimalware isn't really necessary IMO.

The Linux community is gigantic. Companies like Google, Intel, nVidia, etc etc all contribute, as well as many small time developers, unpaid hobbyists, etc etc.

Whats the worst case scenario if I choose to Migrate to Mint, and mabie branch out in to other OS Linux Distros looking learn but just can seem to understand it. How hard is Linux to learn, understand, such as the Console, I think its call Bash.

Yep, Bash is just one of many shells. I personally prefer fish, but to each their own. And I think you should stick with bash until you are 100% comfortable with it, seeing as how 99.99% of instructions you find online are through bash or sh.

The worse case scenaro would be you run something like "rm -rf /" and delete your entire system :tongue:
Always, ALWAYS make sure you know what the commands do before running them.

ExplainShell is amazing. It will break down commands into their components and tell you what everything does.

Also, graphics drivers can be really finicky on *nix systems. So anything messing with graphics drivers I'd be wary of.

EDIT: woohoo, 2,500th post!

Probably one of the most confusing thing to newcomers is the way *nix handles drives.

You have your root drive "/" that everything resides in. Even other drives.
For example, I have a 4TB drive mounted in my home directory "/home/ifargle/Drive"

So is it a case of the acutall mounted HDD that is running would reside under this command as well. So for example Windows based OS's would be C:\ , D:\ , E:\, ECT: and thus *nix handling the drives as being mounted from a Birds eye view with regards to this one Command Option being "/" that you would be able to change directory with, that being the HDD it self.

/bin is binary files, /lib is kernel files, /tmp is temp files, /etc is configuration files, (network interfaces, samba configs, ssh configs, apache configs, a LOT of stuff is in here). The list goes on and on but that's all I really know off the top of my head

Is it a case with *nix the file extensions are searched for threw for example "/bin" being a search for Binary files, "/tmp" being Temporary Files, and thus having a search for every type of extension available under *nix. If that being the case wouldn't their be "x" amount of search parameters available for a "/dev" search within a HDD it self, were as being Windows 7 or older XP for example you would hit F2, and the select the Directory and type in your, extention with mabie a partial file name at the least.

APT repositories are why I switched to Debian in the first place it's so much nicer to just run "apt-get vlc chromium nload htop (etc etc etc) and have everything install in one batch than having to run several dozen installers (for Windows)

Having repository under *nix, would that be the case for every Ver. of Linux or Unix? Is the Debian OS of Linux Mint and other OS's under the Linux domain based on the Debian OS and what exactly is the Debian OS? Is has it got something to do with the Kernel, or File Structure by any chance. Mabie the list of available Linux Mint commands, Linux Mint being a LTS Release and thus having a vast option of terminal commands.

You could dual boot, but if you ever decide to remove Mint and go with just Windows again, it's a pain. (GRUB is difficult to remove You'll need a Windows disk of the currently installed version of Windows to repair correctly)

What exactly is GRUB? What does it stand for? How is it used. I think it has something to do with the installation or the visual interface of the Linux OS it self but I'm not sure.

Drive encryption is best left to truecrypt, and file encryption is what gpg is for. HOWEVER, gpg does not support folder encryption. In that case, truecrypt is a better answer. Antimalware isn't really necessary IMO.

Is their a stable release of the truecrypt software available for download with in Linux Mint Community? I had a Look but didn't check the repository. I'll have a look. How does it differ from the Windows Version and by any chance is it stable as being retired for Windows. I would like to Move over to Linux but not with out further knowledge first.

Yep, Bash is just one of many shells. I personally prefer fish, but to each their own. And I think you should stick with bash until you are 100% comfortable with it, seeing as how 99.99% of instructions you find online are through bash or sh.

The worse case scenario would be you run something like "rm -rf /" and delete your entire system
Always, ALWAYS make sure you know what the commands do before running them.

Explain Shell is amazing. It will break down commands into their components and tell you what everything does.

Also, graphics drivers can be really finicky on *nix systems. So anything messing with graphics drivers I'd be wary of.

How common is Bash the Shell with in the *nix Community do you know? I'll not be running that command.

Do you know how I can run explain shell, or will I just simply look it up under Google?

I thought the Graphics based drivers would even for on board would be supported on older systems like the 1.8Ghz I'm running SETI on. Under the Windows XP, and later versions you have the option to download an entire archive of updates for you hardware, if they are supported for the older systems available what alot of people have Globally.

So its all most as if you would a an online repository in which you could have endless updates to for various hardware and being the *nix community you could all ways write your own..

Sorry for the late reply but I haven't been well for the past day.. Thanks a lot.

So is it a case of the acutall mounted HDD that is running would reside under this command as well. So for example Windows based OS's would be C:\ , D:\ , E:\, ECT: and thus *nix handling the drives as being mounted from a Birds eye view with regards to this one Command Option being "/" that you would be able to change directory with, that being the HDD it self.
/ is the root drive, usually /dev/sda1
Hence / is known as root

Anything and everything that lives in a *nix system stems from /
Here's a good article read up on:
General overview of the Linux file system

Go down to section 3.1.3. More file system layout

Is it a case with *nix the file extensions are searched for threw for example "/bin" being a search for Binary files, "/tmp" being Temporary Files, and thus having a search for every type of extension available under *nix. If that being the case wouldn't their be "x" amount of search parameters available for a "/dev" search within a HDD it self, were as being Windows 7 or older XP for example you would hit F2, and the select the Directory and type in your, extention with mabie a partial file name at the least.

If you open your Terminal and type in "echo $PATH" you will see all the filepaths your OS searches for when running a command (ie ls, cp, etc)

Generally, you won't deal with /dev much.
You'll have to mount drives from /dev

Example:

Code:
sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /path/to/mount
you then access that drive from /path/to/mount

If it's an NTFS drive you have to specify that when mounting:
Code:
sudo mount -t ntfs /deb/sdb1 /path/to/mount

One thing that will come in handy: MAN PAGES
Man pages are "manual" pages for commands!

To see a manpage for the "mount" command, for example, simply type in "man mount"

Having repository under *nix, would that be the case for every Ver. of Linux or Unix? Is the Debian OS of Linux Mint and other OS's under the Linux domain based on the Debian OS and what exactly is the Debian OS? Is has it got something to do with the Kernel, or File Structure by any chance. Mabie the list of available Linux Mint commands, Linux Mint being a LTS Release and thus having a vast option of terminal commands.
Yes and no. Most repos are distribution specific (ie, the default Debian repos, Ubuntu repos, etc)

Debian is just a distribution of Linux that uses it's own installation types (apt-get), has package installations (dpkg -i), etc. OSes like Linux Mint, Ubuntu (and derivatives of that: Kubuntu, Edubuntu, Lubuntu, even ElementaryOS)

Other distros use different commands... yum for Fedora, aur for Arch, etc etc.
I'm most familiar with Debian-based systems, though, so for those others I might not be of much help :tongue:

Linux Mint being an LTS release doesn't mean it has more commands, LTS just means that specific release will be supported for longer, typically three years. (LTS = Long Term Support)

The only negative to Linux Mint.. If you want to upgrade to a newer version, you almost always MUST wipe the machine. Ubuntu can upgrade to new releases with apt-get dist-upgrade. Debian's been on 7.x for forever now :tongue: (about three years)

We're due for an ugprade to Debian jessie here soon.

What exactly is GRUB? What does it stand for? How is it used. I think it has something to do with the installation or the visual interface of the Linux OS it self but I'm not sure.
GRUB: GRand Unified Bootloader
It's a bootloader!

You've likely never seen one as the Windows bootloader skips itself if there's only one OS present (and the Windows bootloader only works with Windows OSes EXCEPT for Linux OSes installed with Wubi)

Is their a stable release of the truecrypt software available for download with in Linux Mint Community? I had a Look but didn't check the repository. I'll have a look. How does it differ from the Windows Version and by any chance is it stable as being retired for Windows. I would like to Move over to Linux but not with out further knowledge first.

There is, but it isn't available in the repos. TrueCrypt has been brought back from the dead.. yesterday actually. Called CipherShed:
CipherShed: A replacement for TrueCrypt

Link to the current page for downloading TrueCrypt:
https://www.grc.com/misc/truecrypt/truecrypt.htm

You'll probably want this one:
https://www.grc.com/misc/truecrypt/truecrypt-7.1a-linux-x64.tar.gz

For the CLI version:
https://www.grc.com/misc/truecrypt/truecrypt-7.1a-linux-console-x64.tar.gz

Now, I'll give you instructions on how to do this in bash because familiarity with a shell on Linux is a godsend. And I've only done it there so.. :tongue:

Download the archive:
Code:
wget https://www.grc.com/misc/truecrypt/truecrypt-7.1a-linux-console-x64.tar.gz

Excract the .tar archive:
Code:
tar -xvf truecrypt-7.1a-linux-console-x64.tar.gz

Run the program!
Code:
./truecrypt-7.1a-linux-console-x64

And then follow prompts.

How common is Bash the Shell with in the *nix Community do you know? I'll not be running that command.

BASH is huge. It's the default shell on like 99% of all Linux systems these days.

Do you know how I can run explain shell, or will I just simply look it up under Google?

There's so much to it that I can't possibly explain it all. Google / books will be your best bet :tongue:

I thought the Graphics based drivers would even for on board would be supported on older systems like the 1.8Ghz I'm running SETI on. Under the Windows XP, and later versions you have the option to download an entire archive of updates for you hardware, if they are supported for the older systems available what alot of people have Globally.

IMO installing required drivers and whatnot is generally easier than on Windows (except with AMD :tongue:)

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

That will update repository lists on your system and them upgrade anything that needs to be upgraded.

On GUI systems you'll have to either enable restricted drivers for closed-source drivers (that generally work 2034982302384098 times better) or do an apt-get install for nvidia-current:

sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

As for AMD.. I can't help much there, I tried it once and gave up I got so frustrated. Sold my HD 7950 and bought a GTX 680 and never looked back :tongue:

So its all most as if you would a an online repository in which you could have endless updates to for various hardware and being the *nix community you could all ways write your own..

A vast majority of software most people need can be found in the default repositories, yes. However there are a few you can add yourself (ie, I have one for Plex on my server at home for updates from the Plex repository)

You've explained a lot iFargle and for the time being to much to take in and I'll use this for reference material this thread.

I know Linux Mint is a Good place to start for beginners, but how do the other variations of *nix fair up? I know you have an OS for every type of situation all most, but what I'm curious about is the various release of OS's and the History in regards to Version.

If you have a release of Fedora, for example and bare in mind I know nothing about Fedora, would you choose your Distribution and then thus choose your Version of that distribution? Out of curiosity do you know how it is possible to have so many Versions of *nix, I'm not talking about the bigger community but talking about *nix being free Software, and thus having a dominant share of the Market? Is that rite as its due to consumer demand,. I have all ways used Windows, but I'm unsure of their share of the Market?

How popular, is *nix, I know they use it for the likes, of Routers, OS's, mobile devices, hardware other than the laptop and desktop variants.

If you go in to a shop say ASDA for example, you will inevitably buy a Computer with Windows on for example.

Just an FYI, a vulnerability in bash was discovered yesterday:
Remote Exploit Vulnerability Found In Bash - Slashdot

It shouldn't affect you much unless you have apache installed on it (and port 80 on your router pointing to that computer)

Remote Exploit Vulnerability Found In Bash - Slashdot

In any case, I'd recommend just running this:
Code:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Linux Mint uses Ubuntu (and Debian) repositories, so it should be fixed by now.

In regards to Linux Mint and Ubuntu, using their repository, have you a vague or rough idea of how many Debian like systems their are out their? If Mint, and Ubuntu use Debian, what about security Ver. of Linux for example, Dedicated software that will use a completely different all to gather system in the same principal as Debian, do you get what I'm trying to ask?

You've explained a lot iFargle and for the time being to much to take in and I'll use this for reference material this thread.

I know Linux Mint is a Good place to start for beginners, but how do the other variations of *nix fair up? I know you have an OS for every type of situation all most, but what I'm curious about is the various release of OS's and the History in regards to Version.

Linux Mint and Ubuntu are really the two easiest to use. That's why they're so popular :tongue: I chose Debian because it's way more light weight and I was familiar with the system already (through Ubuntu and Mint) -- Ubuntu and Mint have extra sources (repositories) to get software so the amount initially available to you in the App Store or whatever you use is much, much larger.

I can't tell you much about the history of any of them except for Ubuntu. It's always been [Year].[Month], and are in alphabetical order with some kind of animal.... So 14.04 was Trusty Tahr, 14.10 will be Utopic Unicorn, and so on. Wikipedia and the Ubuntu / Debian / Linux Mint website might be a better reference than me on this :tongue:

If you have a release of Fedora, for example and bare in mind I know nothing about Fedora, would you choose your Distribution and then thus choose your Version of that distribution? Out of curiosity do you know how it is possible to have so many Versions of *nix, I'm not talking about the bigger community but talking about *nix being free Software, and thus having a dominant share of the Market? Is that rite as its due to consumer demand,. I have all ways used Windows, but I'm unsure of their share of the Market?

Fedora is its own distribution. It does have derivatives, but none are really all that popular in the desktop community.

Debian would be a better example... Derivatives include Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Elementary OS.. and Linux Mint and Ubuntu have derivatives of their own... Mostly tailoring to different default desktop environments (Lubuntu = LXDE, Ubuntu Gnome = Gnome 3, Kubuntu = KDE, Xubuntu = XFCE, and so on)

How popular, is *nix, I know they use it for the likes, of Routers, OS's, mobile devices, hardware other than the laptop and desktop variants.

If you go in to a shop say ASDA for example, you will inevitably buy a Computer with Windows on for example.

Every year Linux enthusiasts call "The year of Linux" :tongue:
Linux has like a 1.2% marketshare on desktop systems, but is nearly ubiquitous on server and mobile systems. Even smartwatches (Android Wear and most likely Apple Watch) run the linux kernel.

It's pretty much everywhere EXCEPT desktops :tongue:

In regards to Linux Mint and Ubuntu, using their repository, have you a vague or rough idea of how many Debian like systems their are out their? If Mint, and Ubuntu use Debian, what about security Ver. of Linux for example, Dedicated software that will use a completely different all to gather system in the same principal as Debian, do you get what I'm trying to ask?

TBH I have no idea how many systems run Debian based OSes. Most server OSes don't, though. Here at SpaceX we use Solaris.

There are distributions of linux aimed at security. Most notably Kali Linux, Blackbox Linux and Tails (the one Edward Snowdens upposedly used :tongue:)

Just out of curiosity, if you have a security based distro of Linux could you run that on a desktop environment, or would it have to be server based hardware to support the OS?

How many security based distros is their of *Nix ?

I've got a very random question for you as well iFargle? If Snowden is running a security based *Nix OS, what about backdoor in other Distros of *Nix, and or Mobile Software OS, Its clear to see their will be a Backdoor to Windows, especially if you have an Internet connection.

In regards to a Ver. of Truecrypt running within a Linux Based OS, encrypting the full HDD, Linux being a less targeted Platform yes I know some Encryption standards that Truecrypt uses have never been broken, but what about implying those over an internet connection.

Now bier in mind we could be talking about Wireless Medium, or Ethernet, but in the case of SSL, HTTPS: How would you ensure the secure delivery of Information, sending or receiving, with in a *Nix based OS, that would be unchallenged to an extent. What security encryption protocols are their out their?

Just out of curiosity, if you have a security based distro of Linux could you run that on a desktop environment, or would it have to be server based hardware to support the OS?

How many security based distros is their of *Nix ?

You can run it on anything it's compatible with (x86, ARM, MIPS, etc) -- And even then you could probably compile it for use on other systems, though this is pretty advanced.. and there's a lot of room for error :tongue:

Google would be your go-to guy to ask for that. I have no idea.

I've got a very random question for you as well iFargle? If Snowden is running a security based *Nix OS, what about backdoor in other Distros of *Nix, and or Mobile Software OS, Its clear to see their will be a Backdoor to Windows, especially if you have an Internet connection.

There's always the possibility. Custom kernels, many many many different variations of the Linux kernel, different versions of programs installed, etc etc -- tons of opportunity even in open source software for security holes / back doors.

In regards to a Ver. of Truecrypt running within a Linux Based OS, encrypting the full HDD, Linux being a less targeted Platform yes I know some Encryption standards that Truecrypt uses have never been broken, but what about implying those over an internet connection.

If you've already decrypted the machine (ie on boot or on mounting of a drive), it's just the same as if there was no encryption at all. The only difference is... if you either unmount the drive or power down the machine, only then is the data really "encrypted" -- it requires a password to mount / boot.

Now bier in mind we could be talking about Wireless Medium, or Ethernet, but in the case of SSL, HTTPS: How would you ensure the secure delivery of Information, sending or receiving, with in a *Nix based OS, that would be unchallenged to an extent. What security encryption protocols are their out their?

This is less of a question about Linux and more on web security... Tor, VPN's, proxy's, etc etc.

Back
Top Bottom