This could change the history of pc security forever!!!

zaka100

W͂Oͨ̍̍̒̈́͛̕
While I was reading this thread: Destroying Files by Notepad - Page 2 - Tech & Computer Forums, I came up with an awsome idea! I researched more on this idea by learning how dvd burners work: How Does a DVD Burner Work? | eHow

I have an idea about a special external hdd that you can permanently delete files with NO chance of hackers recovering it! The way it works is like a dvd with the same idea as the reflective dye and the 1's and 0's but, when you delete a file on it, the writer changes the data to just 0's (blank). The problem with this is that if you have been using this drive for a long time, there will be lots of patches of 0's (blanks) on the drive so it will be hard to write on the drive so, I have an idea that whenever you delete/write anything, the special hdd writes to a built-in special memory device which keeps track of where all the empty patches are. But, if there are loads of small patches and there is a big file, the big file will be seperated and wrote in the small patches, at the end of each patch that a part of the big file is written on, there is a reference of where on the disc, the rest of the big file is. The only problem with the whole idea is that it will take a long time to write a file because all the data on the disc is scattered but, at least you know you can delete something and be safe!!!;)

Last edited:
I've read that flash drives always zero out data that is deleted. Thereby making file recovery impossible.

Having done recovery of flash drives (SD cards and USB sticks, largely), I can tell you this isn't true.

It's something that's easy to test. Stick some photos on a USB stick, shift+delete them in Windows, and then run recovery software on it (or make an image of the drive with something FTK Imager). You can even delete the partition, but the data will still be there until overwritten by something else.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom