Change Boot Drive

kcrasch

Baseband Member
I installed a new Windows 7 edition and after installation I noticed somehow I made the OS/Boot drive Drive W:

I would like to change the Drive Letter to C:

Is there a way I can just copy all files in Drive W over to a new partition labeled C and then make that the Boot drive and delete the old Drive W: ???

Looking for ways I don't have to reload Windows 7.

Start menu -> type in "Computer Management" and select that, then go to "Storage" -> "Disk Management", right click the disk you want to change, and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths"

Go to control panel
administrative Tool then
computer Management,
storage,
disk Management.

You can see all your drives.
right click on the drive and "Change Drive Letters and Paths...".

Let me know if it works for you or not.

After reading that article and lots of others I think I am just going to do a clean boot or restore. I've had fun modifying the reg before, but I've also pinched a few things up. My goal in the beginning was to have a fresh new OS on a nice and organized PC. My OCD is getting the better of me though.

I installed this OS from Dream Spark via dual boot and I was foolish enough not to wait and enter the product key. Anyone know if I'm still able to reinstall using that one time OEM?

After reading that article and lots of others I think I am just going to do a clean boot or restore. I've had fun modifying the reg before, but I've also pinched a few things up. My goal in the beginning was to have a fresh new OS on a nice and organized PC. My OCD is getting the better of me though.

I installed this OS from Dream Spark via dual boot and I was foolish enough not to wait and enter the product key. Anyone know if I'm still able to reinstall using that one time OEM?

You can install as many times as you want with an OEM as long as its the same machine; you're just not supposed to install it on multiple machines.

If you're going to reinstall, make sure you only have 1 drive plugged in. That way Windows can't mess up the drive letters again, or install the boot partition on another HDD.

Also, I'd unplug any card readers if you have them since those can interfere as well. Just have disc drive(s), and 1 HDD.

I'm gonna do just that. Oh, when I go to choose a partition and where I want to install Windows . . . if I choose my Drive W . . . it will let me change that ugly Drive letter to Drive C right?

Last edited:
If you want to do a clean install, just delete the partition and recreate it. Make sure you have your important files backed up.

If you are thinking to change boot drive letter then you can't do it instead if you have Windows installed on another partition and you need to change the name of that drive. Then it is possible by navigating through Control Panel > System and Security > Administrative Tools > Computer Management. Find & Click on Disk Management in the left pane and choose Change Drive Letter and Paths.... then right click on the drive which you want to change the letter and assign the letter and click OK

Back
Top Bottom