How Much Cache for external HD used w itunes

Status
Not open for further replies.

abosco11

Beta member
I am going to be buying a 250 GB western digital external hard drive that uses usb to connect to my desktop computer. The sole purpose of this external drive will be to store a music library conssiting of Mp3 files and or the type of files that itunes creates. The specs for the drive state that it has 2 MB of cache.

I am a little unclear on teh function of Cahce in general but even more unclear on how it would come into play when listening to music files.

I intent to have my entire library stored on the external drive and set itunes to access music directly from the drive.

Is 2mb of cache ok for this type of application?

I just don't want songs to skip or lag or experience any other listening interuptions.

Thanks
Andrew

BTW, if my songs are on the external hard drive, and I drag songs from the itunes library onto my ipod, will this work ok?

I would go with a drive that has 8MB or even 16 MB. But 8MB is the usual. that'll work... depending on the app that you use to run your music, 2MB, might not be enough with a USB driven HD.

cache is a fast accesing memory located in the HD that could help you get things faster. once you pick out a thing in the harddrive it'll be stored in the cache. when you search the next time the HD would search the cache first then if it's not located there then i'll actually search the HD. of course bigger cache size is better but only for big HDs, small HD might not find it very useful. you might want to get a bigger one for the task you're doing. but they come in price too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom