Motherboard "safety" block

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calzinger

Beer
Do motherboards have a "safety" block where the computer will not turn on if shut off improperly? I noticed that when I shut off my computer while booting the bios, it will not turn back on. I have to unplug the PSU for some time before it will boot up again.

how long do you unplug the psu for? is this the same as clearing the cmos by taking the battery out for a while?

Nope, just unpluging the PSU from its socket. The OCZs (or maybe other PSUs also) has some feature where after unpluging it for like 8 seconds it clears something. I'm not sure as to what.

I'm not clearing the cmos or anything. Like said, just unpluging it from the socket for around 8 seconds until the PSU makes a "chirp". Anyone with an OCZ PSU would surely know this chirp sound.

You should not incorrectly shut down the machine while in the BIOS, that can lead to a corrupt BIOS and you increase the chances of killing your motherboard.

generally that PSU deal is when the thing has been tripped because of voltages being screwed and unplugging it resets that....you should clear your CMOS though and see if that helps, but like gaara said, sometimes you can totally screw your BIOS if you do things like shut it down when it's going into it, or if you just saved settings

Lucky me.

But it also happens when I shut down the machine as it's at the motherboard flash screen before it loads the operating system. The computer refuses to turn on, but simply removing the AC power cord and reconnecting it will turn on the PC.

I thought it may be some safety feature with the motherboard where it refuses to start up to avoid damaging something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom