Windows 7 Image

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used acronis with xp successfully, would it work for donvito with w7? It took me more time than I'm going to admit to just to figure out how to turn the darn computer off in Vista. I've thought about learning Linux, but I'm still having a hard time navigating vista. I've had that same problem with compatibily using different hardware also. Once I matched up both router and modem name brands....problems solved. <I've seen seperate components work many times, but in that one instance it did solve my problems. My cousin brought over an apple laptop and I couldn't pull his MAC address to get him through my router. Jayce some of us aren't as smart as thee:p

I've used acronis with xp successfully, would it work for donvito with w7? It took me more time than I'm going to admit to just to figure out how to turn the darn computer off in Vista. I've thought about learning Linux, but I'm still having a hard time navigating vista. I've had that same problem with compatibily using different hardware also. Once I matched up both router and modem name brands....problems solved. <I've seen seperate components work many times, but in that one instance it did solve my problems. My cousin brought over an apple laptop and I couldn't pull his MAC address to get him through my router. Jayce some of us aren't as smart as thee:p

Again, you do NOT need to be a Linux guru to use FOG. You just don't. All you need is a basic install of Ubuntu, which requires a total of 7 clicks and adding your username + password, selecting time zone, etc. After that, FOG takes over, which has documentation on how to install it very easily.

I have no idea what the status is of Acronis with Windows 7, but I have heard that Ghost is on its way with a patch, but it isn't there yet.

FOG officially supports Windows 7, and to my limited knowledge, it's the only one I've heard of that is officially supported. The only curve ball I ran into with FOG and Windows 7 was, when I installed 7, I only made 1 partition as I always do. In FOG, I selected single partition image. Afterwards, it backfired (requiring a repair). Turns out 7 auto-creates a 2nd partition for whatever reason. The fix? In FOG - select "multiple partition image" instead of "single." Easy enough. :p

If you install Windows 7 on a drive that has less than 3 partitions a 100MB partition is created before the actual partition used. This is the partition that is used for the Boot files and partially for BitLocker. It stores the key for Bitlocker on there. That partition is mandatory if you have less then 3 partitions on your drive when you start.

uhm, so if you wanted to use FOG, you would have to instal Ubuntu? how is that designed for windows?

uhm, so if you wanted to use FOG, you would have to instal Ubuntu? how is that designed for windows?

FOG is server based imaging software. It's built to work on the Linux foundation while FOG itself is customized and geared towards imaging Windows workstations.

AKA - You run FOG on Ubuntu. This is your "imaging server." From there, you PXE boot Windows clients on the same network as your "imaging server" and you can control the hosts from there, assign them an image, upload/deploy, etc.

Example - I dual boot XP + Ubuntu/FOG on my laptop, and I use a 24 port gig switch. When I need to re-image a lab, I hook my laptop + all Windows clients into my switch, PXE boot, assign the hosts to 1 group, assign the group an image, and deploy. Then I reboot all Windows clients, PXE boot again, and they take off and apply the image on my laptop's hard drive (imaging server) to the clients.

It's no different than Ghost. Ghost is an application that runs on Windows to image Windows. FOG is an application that runs on Linux to image Windows.

Whether it's Ghost or FOG, you're still using an "imaging server." The platforms may be different on the server, but the client support (Windows) is the same.

EDIT - Figured a few reviews couldn't hurt.

Quick reviews taken from FOG's "sourceforge" web site:

- This is by far the best open source imaging solution. We recently replaced our stand alone ghost with FOG. For a new Linux user it is easy to setup and configure. Plain and simple, it just works!

- Proof even a retard can get this running! Thanks

- Rock solid imaging solution. Tons of features with easy implementation. Great job guys!

You do realize that Windows 7 has this built in now as well right? You can create a image in a VHD format and restore it from that format as well. Just can have the image stored on the same drive as the system drive. Can only store it on a network device when you use Ultimate or Enterprise.

Thank you mak213: If I'm reading you correctly I should be able to use the built in imager and place the image on a network drive yes.

Yes if you have Windows 7 Pro or higher you can use the built in Image on a network drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom