Vista 64bit BlueScreen

Status
Not open for further replies.

PcSpyder

Beta member
As of sunday microsoft sent through an update to fix the Bluescreen errors that Vista 32bit systems were getting when installing the SP2. In the process the update went to 64bit Vista systems causing blue Screens on first boot the next morning.

The support groups around the country backed up because of this issue and caused quite a stir and didn't even make the News! Secondly if you were out of warranty and called on a manufacturer or went to a retail Tech, they made a fortune this last week.

Microsoft claimed to have a FREE 800 number, though I myself and my collegues could not find it, hats off to you Microsoft!

The cause was update KB973879.

Now the fix, you can thank me later.

Simply shut down and restart the machine tapping F8 until the boot options appear.
Select Safe Mode and log in.
Go to the start search above the start button.
Type in "program".
Click on programs & features and open it.
Click on view installed updates.
Find KB973879 and click on it and uninstall.
turn off the wireless and unplug your ethernet, then follow the reboot option from the Uninstall you just performed.
Once rebooted it will load into windows normally.

If you are concerned about corrupted updates again in the future, simply open Windows Update and click on the change settings link.
Change it to "Look for updates, but let me decide to Download and Install".
And apply.

End of nightmares... thank me later. :freak:

When I 1st installed SP2 my system wouldn't work. The update failed to overwrite the gdi32.dll file with the new version so I had to manually expand the file and copy it to the System32 folder. Since then I've re-installed Vista 64 a few times and the SP2 has work problem free :D

thanks for the info Slay. Will make sure to note that. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom