Unable to load XP Pro due to stop/error messege

Status
Not open for further replies.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Unable to install XP Pro due to stop/error messege

Hi everyone!

I am trying to install Windows XP Pro [it has neither service packs included] onto a new build and I keep receiving the same messege:

A problem has been detected and windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer. Check to see if there is adequate disk space. Blah, blah, blah!

Included in the messege are stop numbers etc.

I am wondering if this is due to using the Maxtor SATA HD. I noticed in the Maxtor manual it says I must first load a driver? Says I need to load driver onto a floppy disc and do it that way?

I am not even sure where to find this driver. Is it on my ECS motherboard disc? Is this truly the problem?

Please, can somebody help me?

Desperate for some understanding.

Freddy

My new $296 computer system

E4500-$118
ESC 945GCT-M V.2.0-Free with Processer
OCZ DDR2 800 2x1GB=2GB - $4.99 for both
Maxtor 300 SATA [x2]-$64 ea.
E-GeForce 6200 LE 256 PCI-E [not installed yet] - free
Memorex Dual Layer 16X DVD +R DL Rewritable - $19.99
Cooler Master Extreme Power Duo 600W - $4.99
Microfly Mini ATX Case $19.99

Hmmm... that doesn't sound like the issue you are describing. I don't think it will BSOD because it can't find the driver for the sata drive. You would just get a blue screen letting you know that no driver was found, etc etc.

I would suggest going thru your system and making sure everything is hooked up, seated properly, etc etc

Hmmm... that doesn't sound like the issue you are describing. I don't think it will BSOD because it can't find the driver for the sata drive. You would just get a blue screen letting you know that no driver was found, etc etc.

I would suggest going thru your system and making sure everything is hooked up, seated properly, etc etc

Osris, I have checked and rechecked repeatedly and find nothing amiss. I did one more thing: I took out my IDE Hard drive on my computer that is working flawlessly, and put in the SATA II. When I tried to install, the same exact message! I even tried various SATA HDD's and still the same problem.

This XP Pro disc has worked fine in other builds using IDE HD's, but does not seem to work with SATA's. Are ya sure that could not be the problem?

Have you any other ideas or clues for me? I lost most of my hair now...been pulling it out for a number of days and nothin' left!

Freddy

The issue is the SATA Drivers. You say that the disc is before any Service Packs were released which is before SATA became big. Therefor you need to go to the Motherboard Manufacturer's site and get the SATA Drivers. If you are EXTREMELY lucky you might find them on the CD.

But Osiris is right about one thing. Not having SATA drivers would not cause this issue. XP setup would get the point where it would look for hard drives to install on and would not find any if it was jsut the SATA Drivers missing.

Looking at Superdave's post above me i can see that you got 2GB of RAM for $5? Right there i would be suspecious. Download and burn MemTest86 and test that RAM out. That would be a more likely cause for this error than missing SATA Drivers.

Are all these parts new? $4.99 for 2 GB of RAM????

Super Dave, yes everything listed was brand new, never before used, still sealed in the box. I purchased all of it either at Fry's store or from their online ad.

A lot of it was purchased the day after Thanksgiving or the day after Christmas online [the stores were too crazy and I don't go there anymore on the big sale days].

Hairless Freddy

The issue is the SATA Drivers. You say that the disc is before any Service Packs were released which is before SATA became big. Therefor you need to go to the Motherboard Manufacturer's site and get the SATA Drivers. If you are EXTREMELY lucky you might find them on the CD.

But Osiris is right about one thing. Not having SATA drivers would not cause this issue. XP setup would get the point where it would look for hard drives to install on and would not find any if it was jsut the SATA Drivers missing.

Looking at Superdave's post above me i can see that you got 2GB of RAM for $5? Right there i would be suspecious. Download and burn MemTest86 and test that RAM out. That would be a more likely cause for this error than missing SATA Drivers.

Mak, I will do as you say, but remember, I also loaded and tried brand new sticks from other vendors and same exact messege. These sticks work flawlessly in my other computer....

Please, has anyone any other ideas? I still am wondering if it is as Maxtor says: must load SATA drivers before installing Windows XP....

I just emailed ECS tech support to ask them about this...but sometimes they take quite a while before they answer and sometimes I hear they do not answer...

As i stated in my post. This error would not be caused by missing SATA Drivers. I know this cause i had to get the SATA Drivers for my system to re-install XP a few times myself. It does not cause a BSOD if you do not have them. It will continue the setup till you get to the point where it tries to find a hard drive to install on then it wont find them.

So this is something not related to that. That will come up after we figure out what is causing this BSOD.

Can you take a pic of the message or type everything you see in the blue screen here?

What kind of ECS mobo do you have? Can you find the drivers on their site?

Anything is possible but this would be the first case I've seen of this happening.

How many connectors do you have running to your SATA drives?

Did you try just one stick of ram at a time?

When you reboot without the XP cd, do you see the SATA drive listed?

Does it show the SATA drive in the BIOS?

As i stated in my post. This error would not be caused by missing SATA Drivers. I know this cause i had to get the SATA Drivers for my system to re-install XP a few times myself. It does not cause a BSOD if you do not have them. It will continue the setup till you get to the point where it tries to find a hard drive to install on then it wont find them.

So this is something not related to that. That will come up after we figure out what is causing this BSOD.

Mak, thank you kindly for your support. Well, I suppose I need a crash lesson...

Can you tell me the exact meaning of BSOD?

Sorry, I have only built one other computer [7-8 months ago] and perhaps I totally lucked out because it has worked flawlessly. I was hoping this might be the same, but not so.

Here was my last build that I totally "lucked out" on!

My old, but great running system:

Intel 805D [$78]
ESC P4M900PRO-M v.2 [free with 805d]
ThermaTake CPU Fan TR-2-M21-RX [$19]
Microfly clear case $25]
Ultra ATX 600 watt power supply SLi ready [free]
PQI DDR2 RAM 2GB=1GB [$29]
PPA Firewire PCI Card [$15]
e-GeForce 6200 LE PCI Video Card 128MB [$29]
Pioneer DVR-710 DVD/CD burner [$25]
Maxtor 120 GB ATA HD-8 MB CACHE [$19]
Maxtor 200 GB SATA HD-8 MB CACHE [$59]
WINTV-HVR 1600[$90] Ouch!
Windows XP PRO [free, a friend gave it to me]

Gosh, should I have not dreamed for a nicer system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom