How to disable "You need permission to perform this action" with Windows Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LincolnX

Baseband Member
Windows Vista somehow automatically sets file permission on my files/folders. Is there a way that these are disabled? (so all files/folders can be accessed by ANYONE). I never had any problems with Windows XP and NTFS.

I don't want to have problems with permissions when I switch back to XP or with Linux and NTFS.

rereading your post...
I don't want to have problems with permissions when I switch back to XP or with Linux and NTFS

not sure what you are wanting to solve
unless you are wanting to disable:
Search Results

I am tried to rename a folder (D:\Documents to Documents_old). It get the following error: "You need permission to perform this action". After that I messed around with Vista's Security settings (Access control and permissions), but I am still not capable to change the folder name.

I thought that might have been the other thing...I do it half thinking so couldn't tell you how to do it from Xp :D (at work and all)

I took ownership with the commands:
Code:
takeown /F D:\folder
cacls D:\folder /g Users:F

After that I had to restart explorer.exe and it worked, thanks!!:)

Not a problem. Yes you way is a tad easier. But I wrote up that tutorial a while back. It was nice and easy for me back then to jsut do that as i only need to get permissions over 1 or 2 folders. Not a big group of them. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom