Removing Computrace from my bios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xanatos

Beta member
I recently bought a new dell laptop, and declined the computrace (lojack for laptops) program, however, I am told that the program is still put on all dells and is simply inactive if not paid for. My privacy being very important to me, I was wondering if anyone could tell me a definite way of removing this program from my bios, everything I've read on the subject seems to be either too complicated for me to understand or more theory than fact.

Thanks!

Check with DELL to see if they have a BIOS with out the Computrace.

Otherwise, check your BIOS to see if you can turn it off.

If you are not sure what you are doing with BIOS as you can easily turn your laptop into an expensive paperweight.

Otherwise, with it comes down the computertrace, the only times you really need to worry about it is when you report the laptop being stolen. Apart from that, if your privacy is that important, i would be recommending using TOR with Firefox.

I just read an online article yesterday (a ZDNet newsletter) saying these two computer security experts found while researching BIOS issues that laptops with Computrace can be hacked into via Computrace Lo-Jack and the company that owns it (Absolute) was looking in to it. I can't find the source, as I deleted it from my e-mail after I read it.

That's disturbing, but I would rather not trust some nameless company, the world is full of them and almost all of them would easily abuse your privacy if it gained them something.

so no one has any ideas on removing this horrible program? I think I would rather go with that opensource Adeona program that does the same thing but is safer for privacy

could you provide links to what you found? the only ones i could find either involved advanced stuff i cant understand, or 'theories' that no one is sure will work.

I need more of a 'for intermediate users' guide.

Seriously.... try going into the BIOS itself and see if there is some way to turn it off. I would be surprised if if there isn't.

Failing that, I would be contacting DELL support on this issue. As I posted earlier, BIOS are not some thing that you really want to be messing around with if you are not sure what you are doing. It's not just a case of turning loosing your data, I am talking about turning your laptop into a rather expensive paper weight if you are not sure what you are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom