On startup: Pri Master Hard Disk:S.M.A.R.T command failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarkiz

Beta member
Hello,

I have Intel p4 3 ghz computer with 512 mb ram on it and geforce fx 5600 128 mb video card. When i start to boot up my computer i get this error message: PRI MASTER HARD DISK:S.M.A.R.T COMMAND FAILED
I started to get this message from then, when my brother connected this hdd to another computer...

I have these few questions about the error:
1) Could this affect my computers perfomance?
2) If yes then what should i do? I mean should i replace my hard disk to new?
3) If it isn't hard disk problem then where the problem is? Can it be solved? What part should i replace with to fix this problem? :(

Thank you for answering these questions :cool:

SMART stands for "Self Monitoring and Reporting Technology". You BIOS has detected a pending error in your hard drive. My advice to you would be to take the hard drive out and use an enclosure to extract all the data you might want to take out of it soon, since that hard drive is failing. If possible, try going into the BIOS and disabling SMART, so you can boot into Windows and copy all the necessary files you want to get off of the hard drive. Removing the hard drive would ultimately get rid of this problem though.

Usally the POST will have the option of pressing F3 to continue, or something of that nature, so you shouldn't have to change any settings in the BIOS.

I would install the new hdd as a slave unit and click and drag information from the old hdd to the new one. Another option would be to start backing up your files onto CDs or DVDs.

You bet! Your hdd is failing, back up the files that you want to save, and purchase a new hdd. I've seen hdds with the SMART BAD warning last for a couple of weeks, or go out the same day that it first appears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom