PSU the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack_who689

Baseband Member
Just a couple of days ago i finished my new rig, i was setting up my bios settings... Oc my cpu to 4.7ghz, after i went on and instlled my os. I took a break shut off my rig for the night even unplugged all my power cords.

The next morning i plugged in my rig and switched it on, right when i pressed the power button the psu makes some crackling sounds and i saw a flash. Left it for awhile and attempted to turn it back on but no good, when i switch the psu on the mobo lights still turn on so im guessing the mobo is still good just hope my gpu and cpu are still ok....the night before this happened shoulda guess something was wrong my rig would turn off by itself was thinking maybe i messed of my bios or mos setting but it ran fine at 4.7ghz.

These are my specs:

Case: thermltake blacx v9
Mobo: gigabyte p67a-ud7 B3
Cpu: i7 2600k 3.4ghz
Cooler: coolermaster v10
Gpu: gtx 460
Ram: 8gb g.skill ripjaws
X2 seagate 1tb (raid0)
SSD samsung 64tb (os boot drive)
PSU: cool power gamer series 880w

Now the only thing i can think off is that my PSU output 12v rail is only 28a and my gpu requires at least 38a would think with dual 12v rails would be enough with 28a each but guess doesnt work that way...the other reason im very confused is that i would think with my 12v rails not meetin the minimum gpu ampage that the system just wouldnt turn on not burn out like it did.

Now my solution is i ordered the corsair 850hx although only has single 12v rail its output is 72a which is good enough for my new msi gtx 580 3gb which im using to replace my current gtx 460.

Now im hoping that will solve my problems and hopefully it doesnt happen again and that the burn out fom my last psu didnt take anything with it.

Please if you exp this problem before or know exactly what im doung wrong please lemme know :)

That should solve your problem. That "cool power" supply was junk from the start I'm supprised it ran it at all, if your lucky your machine will be unharmed. But the best advice I can give you is NEVER BUY A CHEAP NO NAME POWER SUPPLY. It's too big of a risk with such nice hardware!

Yeah **** it was only one that was available that seemed it would do the job shoulda done my research. Hopefully none of my major components were harmed : :

Thanks again for feedback

although only has single 12v rail
You say that as if that is a bad thing. I see it as a good thing. Multiple rails are no indication of quality. Multi-rails adds to the complexity and cost of the PSU without adding any real "must have" advantage. I prefer single rail PSUs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom