Power surge, fried pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akubane

Fully Optimized
Hey, there was a power outage last night, and my pc was on. I was plug into a power bar with surge protector but you know how reliable those are.

Problem now is 85% of the time the pc wont boot to windows. It locks up at different places through the boot up process. The other 15% it does make it to windows but locks up within the first minute or so.

My best bet would the the MOBO is fried or partially fried, but I'm not hardware genius yet. So I'm lookin for a 2nd opinion. Its a stock Medion pc. MOBO make unknown, junk 350w stock PSU, old 128 radeon 300x, 250gig sata HD. AMD 64 3200 and 1gig DDR pc3200.

~edit~ this isn't the first power outage either. It made it through a dozen or so before, maybe i was just unlucky this time.

Apreciate any help.

Re: Power surge, fired pc?

If it boots at all, i would guess that its likely that your hard drive might have some problems. If the machine was on and is set to turn back on after an outage, its possible that the machine went off and on a few times which can corrupt windows. I would try to do a repair on windows, then after that, do a chckdsk.

Also, buy a battery back up. You can pick up a 500Va ups that will be plenty for just little blips and they also make sure your computer is always getting clean power because it is coming from the battery.

i see. is there a way to repair windows from the boot screen? most of the time that i can get it boot it either locks while the AV is loading or after I click anything, including the start menu. I'll go try plugging it back in and running it in safe mode to see i that helps any. I really don't want to have to take this in and fight about the extended warrenty i put on it >.> they take a week or two just to take a look at it lol. thanks ^^

~edit~ nevermind it wont boot at all now. monitor wont even come out of power saver mode and turn on. lol got no choice but to take it in now lol. thanks anyway

To do a repair, you have to have a Windows XP (I assume you have XP) disc, and boot off of that. Then pick to repair that Windows install.

nah i cant stand xp. runnin vista ultimate.
doesn't matter cause it completely stopped booting lol. I took it in they're just gonna put a new MOBO in it. I told him to repair windows while he was at it, just in case. I have it all under an extended warrenty i paid for years ago. It just sucks cause it's going to take him 2 weeks to get the part in >.> bleh. ah well lol thanks for the help guys.

I'm using my parent's DELL *ducks to avoid flying objects*
yeah yeah its junk. lmao and slow as all ****.

1 last question. for the UPS you mentioned. i was looking around and found this. NCIX.com - Buy OPTI-UPS GS1100B 1100VA 550W AVR 6 Outlets with RJ11/RJ45 & 1 X USB Com Port Black - GS1100B In Canada.

From the looks of it it looks great, i think. lol. I'm wondering, its 550w. and my powersupply will be the corsair 620 that im ordering next week. with the UPS bottleneck my PSU? Will this affect the amperage at all? I've already got my 8800 ultra and ill be grabbing a Q6600 and a dual pump watercooling system so i'd like to squeeze as much power as I can. especially if I go SLI in the future when i get a hugeass main lcd and goodsized 2nd. I seen a 700watt UPS for another 50$ >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom