NEW PC - overvoltage LED on and no boot occurs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake64_009

In Runtime
Hello, I am posting for a friend who has just built a new PC.

He has the Gigabyte x58A-UD3R motherboard, i7 930 CPU and XFX 650W XXX PSU.

He has checked everything is set up right and connected, so he claims :p.

He cannot boot and gets 2 Flashing LED's on the motherboard which according to the manual represents the overvoltage LEDs. According to the manual, the North Bridge motherboard has a Level 1/2 overvoltage (moderate) and that it also has a high load.

What I've yielded from the net is that either it is a PSU problem (my inital thought) or a faulty board.

Any suggestions? Send the board back or PSU back? He cannot test with other components; it's his first PC and I'm elsewhere from him at the moment to help.

Just spent a few hours helping him. It's fixed now. It was all because he connected a fan to the motherboard that he should not have, actually it was shorting it. Silly small issues like that always take so long to find. Not as bad as what happened to another PC though :).

Sorry for posting this :(.

New builds can be rough, my first build ever was really just a new board for an old case but I added an ATX board to a Compaq case that had a MicroATX board in it that died. I double and triple checked everything but it would not come on at all, the fans would spin a few times but power would be immediately cut. I lifted the motherboard out of the case and it worked just fine. Turns out that some stray standoffs were shorting the back of the board.

Well, I think he was shorting the circuit. He didn't realise the connection he was using was meant for the power to the fan and since he already had a different cable used for the power I think he was shorting it. Hence voltage overloads. I may be wrong though.

Hard to find things like that and especially the standoff problem that Calc explained above. It is irritating as you just don't expect it.

The worst problem I had was when I was wiping my old system clean to give to a friend but also I had to install 64bit windows 7. Took me a whole day and no sleep. It just would not work. I can't even remember how I fixed it; I was that tired. Something to do with the hard drive though. It had about 5 of them in it and 1 was causing problems. But because they were all working fine before the wipe, I just couldn't figure it out. I was getting mixed error messages which didn't help at all.

Ahhhh technology, don't you just love it?! Networking problems are the worst to solve especially if your not that experienced with it (me :(, spent all day today trying to solve my networking issues)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom