Being threatened with a Ddos attack.

Terra

Beta member
Recently,I visited a forum hosted by zetaboard and the guy that made the forum got hold of my Ip address because of my visit. He PMed me in Internet Relay Chat saying " <my ip address>, Good luck with your net"- a warning of a ddos attack.

I told Zetaboard about this problem and they replied :
"
Hi,

This person is most likely trying to scare you. Even if he/she is capable of organising a DDoS attack, you cannot use it to attack an individual computer. He would have to attack your ISP directly, which they would obviously become aware of. You don't need to worry about it.

I suggest you ignore this user, and don't visit the forum anymore."

Does this means the person that got hold of my Ip address couldn't do anything to me?

How safe am I actually?

I have also downloaded Wireshark after being recommended by someone that it could allow me to know if I'm being Ddosed.

If the attack did proceed,am I allowed to take any legal action ,or am I suppose to contact my isp provider or something of that sort?

if it did happen, i'd contact my isp. request a ip change if necessary.

its most likely that this guy is just trying to scare you. he gains nothing by sending ddos to your machine. IRC is not a very trustworthy place to begin with.

I wouldnt worry about it, the guys a fake. If someone was a legit attacker, the last thing they would do is contact you saying they are going to attack you, they would just do it (not that I have any experience >.>). Besides, even if he does have your IP address, there isnt much he can do with it.

if it did happen, i'd contact my isp. request a ip change if necessary.

its most likely that this guy is just trying to scare you. he gains nothing by sending ddos to your machine. IRC is not a very trustworthy place to begin with.

The only thing that he would get by ddosing you is knowing that you can't get on the internet, which depending on the person (trolls) is all they want to do.

I wouldnt worry about it, the guys a fake. If someone was a legit attacker, the last thing they would do is contact you saying they are going to attack you, they would just do it (not that I have any experience >.>). Besides, even if he does have your IP address, there isnt much he can do with it.

He's a person on the internet, so by telling you that he's gonna Ddos you doesn't really do anything negatively. All it does is put fear in the user, because they could take down your network at any time. And how DDosing works is however many computers are on their botnet ping the target IP until it overloads the bandwidth and you can't do anything.

In the event that you get DDosed I would contact your ISP and get a new IP. You can take legal action if you have their IP but since you won't get that in a DDoS you really only have the pm which I don't think will get you very far in identifying the person.

Back
Top Bottom