TCP/IP vs ethernet

Status
Not open for further replies.

carey_w

Solid State Member
ok... could someone please clearly explain to me the difference between TCP/IP and ethernet... this probably sounds like a dumb question and i think im asking it the wrong way... ie from what i can gather tcp/ip is part of ethernet... but i still dont really get it.
from what my IT text book (yes this is for school, but no im not complete n00b) tells me TCP/IP was developed as a protocol for transmiting data over the internet... but then it says it also used within most networks today.... if so... where is there room for ethernet? if nodes within a LAN use TCP/IP to communicate where does csma/cd ethernet fit it?
im sure there is a simple explaination to my question lol... please help if you can

cheers guys

carey

tcp/IP is a collision based protocol, ethernet is a venue for carrying the packets across.

TCP/IP isnt anything physical, just a protocol, ethernet is tangible and is one way for packets to travel through..

Ethernet = the cat5 cable brining the internets to you. TCP/IP is the protocol that allows your computer to talk through that cable.

Yeah, Ethernet is the hardware (the category 5e cable, the RJ45 ports, the LAN cards, routers, switches, wiring, all that stuff). TCP/IP is the generic Internet Protocol, it's become pretty much a standard. It is the software method of encoding data to send over the Internet, over Ethernet local networks, and now over WiFi as well.

Ethernet doesn't HAVE to use TCP/IP, you can use other protocols on an Ethernet network, but almost everything these days uses TCP/IP as it allows your Ethernet local network to work seamlessly with the Internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom