The local device name is already in use

Status
Not open for further replies.

troubledguy22

Beta member
Okay let me begin by saying I am a complete beginner and I only know the basics of computing.

Okay bascially my computer is on a network and I tried to access my drive on the network and a dialog box came up saying

"Error connecting to "\\server\my drive" Microsoft Windows Network. The local device name is already in use.

The connection has not been restored"

Does anyone know what this means and can anyone explain this in "SIMPLE" english as I am quite bewildered. If you need any extra information please ask.

(Sorry if this is in the wrong section but I didnt know where to put it)

It's probably two computer using the same name. Duplicate name and IP address are unwanted in Windows networking. Simply change the name of one of the computer to something else:

Right click on "My Computer", select Properties, Computer name tab, click on the change button. After changing it, you will have to restart the computer. Then on both computer, go to Start Menu, select RUN, type in cmd. Type nbtstat -R and you should be good.

That or a partition on your hard drive and the server have the same name. The hard drive partition wins and the connection to the server fails.

This means that you already have something mapped at that name.

Open up a command prompt (start -> run -> cmd)
then type "net use"

Look at all the connections in there, and remove the one that has the same name that you're trying to connect to by typing this:

net use \\server\drive /d

or

net use driveLetter /d

where drive letter is something like m: or y:

Okay bascially my computer is on a network and I tried to access my drive on the network and a dialog box came up saying

"Error connecting to "\\server\my drive" Microsoft Windows Network. The local device name is already in use.

The connection has not been restored"

What Anti-Virus program do you have installed?
And what firewall program do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom